New to HAM Radio

RossYhan

Hello everyone, I'm beginner to HAM world and new here. I'm very interested and wanted to learn more about it.

I've just bought a new BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Radio.  Do I need a license to operate this model? 

I live in Westchester NY. Looking for class to attend near me but can't find any.  Any suggestion is

much appreciated.

Thanks much,

(Ross)

​WQXY656

the radio you have can interfere with any of a number of licensed only services. including government frequencies. It can also be programed to work on properly MURS since it can TX at or less than 1 watt, but it can not be uses on FRS since it can not be turned down to 1/2 watt. Legality is further complicated for GMRS as no Baofeng/Pofung radio I am aware of is Part 95 certified. Many consider this cert. necessary to operate legally on GMRS that you seem to be licensed to use. If you are not a HAM do not key up HAM frequencies and stay far away from Government/ Public Service frequencies. interfering with PS could cost a life. 

Looks like this repeater/club may be in your area: http://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=986

To answer what I think you're asking... licensing is usually done by frequency. Amateur radio, GMRS, business/land mobile radio, and emergency services are all licensed to use different frequencies within the coverage of the Baofeng handheld.

Outside of amateur radio, you are also required to use a radio that has been type-accepted by the FCC (which means they have reviewed it and have given it their blessing for use on the intended frequencies) in order to operate according to the letter of the law. Amateur radio does not require type-acceptance for radio use (but you still need a ham license to transmit on the allocated frequencies).

From a purely technical perspective, you can configure the Baofeng to transmit on any VHF or UHF frequencies it covers... though I would not recommend doing so outside of ham, GMRS, FRS, or MURS if you do not want to attract potentially unwanted attention from the FCC. :)

Welcome to the airwaves!

• 11 months later...

the radio you have can interfere with any of a number of licensed only services. including government frequencies. It can also be programed to work on properly MURS since it can TX at or less than 1 watt, but it can not be uses on FRS since it can not be turned down to 1/2 watt. Legality is further complicated for GMRS as no Baofeng/Pofung radio I am aware of is Part 95 certified. Many consider this cert. necessary to operate legally on GMRS that you seem to be licensed to use. If you are not a HAM do not key up HAM frequencies and stay far away from Government/ Public Service frequencies. interfering with PS could cost a life.

Update: Baofeng Tech (BTech) does make and sells a Part 95A compliant handheld transceiver called the GMRS-V1 that has all GMRS frequencies but only allows you to receive other VHF/UHF frequencies which is Part 15 compliant. With a programming cable and CHIRP software you are able to program the GMRS-V1 easily. Please note however, you will not be able to transmit on any amateur radio frequencies just receive. Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Update: Baofeng Tech (BTech) does make and sells a Part 95A compliant handheld transceiver called the GMRS-V1 that has all GMRS frequencies but only allows you to receive other VHF/UHF frequencies which is Part 15 compliant. With a programming cable and CHIRP software you are able to program the GMRS-V1 easily. Please note however, you will not be able to transmit on any amateur radio frequencies just receive. Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I don't mean for this to come across as a jerk trying to be smart, so, please forgive me if It's blunt. I just wanted to point out that this is technically the amateur section. I "think" when Logan mentioned there is no part 95 approved radio that he is aware of from Baofeng, he was referring to amateur, considering the original poster referenced a UV-5R in the amateur section and that they are new to ham. With that said, he is technically correct in that sense, but, perhaps lack of terminology by generally speaking. You're correct that Baofeng does make a part 95 approved radio, though, that's simply a GMRS radio (yet, still capable of receiving amateur frequencies) as you mentioned. But, I suppose It's still nice to mention it incase it could help the original poster and anyone else when deciding on a radio.

Sorry again. Sometimes I don't know when I should correct someone or not, because I hate starting something. I just like to see everyone's views, though.  In any way, though. I still think your comment was valuable. There many people that are new to radios and frequencies in general despite what bands and services and may think that one service is what they want, but, find that another service may benefit them more. Although I enjoy amateur and there's many more options and freedom for amateurs such as range and repeaters, I kind of feel that although I do hobby, hobby is only secondary for me while communication is primary. And because I can't have another peer under my callsign, GMRS or FRS is kind of more valuable for me. But, that also limits me in many ways. So, I kind of juggle between the two using amateur personally and GMRS or FRS for close comms. Any further, I'm stick with mobile phones or nothing due to no GMRS repeaters. I provide all the radio communication in the family, so, no one is interested or have the will to study and do amateur exams.