Repeaters

Ezekiel

I am still very new to GMRS, and this site as well, however I have learned much in my couple days.  What i am looking for information on is

1) Doe's the new Midland Mobile Mini work with repeaters?  If not what mobile do you recommend on a budget? 

2) If I am wanting to set up a repeater for my area, (which there are none), do i need to license it separately or does the license that i currently have work as well.

3) I live at the bottom of a mountain and if I was wanting to set up a repeater at my home what would you recommend for me to use in order to project out into the rest of the valley?

4) I would also like to construct a mobile repeater that I can mount into my vehicle and extend the range of my HT while out in the field.  I currently have (4) 5 watt HT that i use for my group while out in the field.  Is there one that is an all in one unit out there again on a reasonable budget.  

My area is very GMRS poor for repeaters and radio signals.  I would like to start alleviating that.

Thank you for your time and understanding. 

Possibly, it is private property,  I'm thinking that I might be able to speak with the owner and work out a deal for our prosperous benefit.  He does own a ranch, and the neighbor is a large vinyard.  It overlooks the Willamette valley from McMinnville all the way to Willamina and beyond.  about 60+ miles.  What kind of wattage would a person need to cover that area if there was a 40 foot antenna?  Or should I look at a taller one. 

Like i was saying I am just now getting into this and trying to understand it.  There is a possibility that I could be moving out into the surrounding farm lands that would allow me to get better signal from my home.  I know that a  mountain top would be better.

What kind of equipment would you recommend if I could get a tower on top of hill next to the house.  the hill is about 200+ feet high.and jutting out from the main mountain range from here. 

Thank you for the help..

There is not enough information to give you a single answer. Is there power avail. at the 200' site? You should not need a 40' antenna as Gmrs is not HF, However a short tower at the 200' site will help get your antenna above average mountainside foliage. there are many ways to setup a repeater, 2 mobile radios with a cable link. or you can purchase already made units. The Riton and Bridgecom repeaters are Part95 certified. I would not buy anything just yet, make sure you can get access to the 200' site, as a repeater at the base of mountain would be of very limited use.

I do not believe that there is power to the site,  I would have to look into a Solar unit possibly with a Battery backup.  I will continue working on it for now and see what comes up in the future.

As for a Mobile repeater for mobile operations in a wooded and elevated environment I was looking at putting two radios together with a generator for power and a battery back up, and again a 20' antenna height, approximately 40 watts.  it will be while my group and I are running through the woods. Or running a large caravan of vehicles.  We also have multiple camp outs with more that 300 people and spread out over several miles.  would be nice to have radios for the events.  

thank you for the help Logan5.

Ezekiel - Just a reminder - Anyone using a GMRS radio or radio system must have their own FCC license.  Therefore, all users of your proposed mobile GMRS repeater would be required to be licensed individually.  Your own current GMRS license is all that you need to operate a family or group repeater. And anyone using it would have to have their own license and properly ID with call their sign. (FCC 47CFR95.119). Your own immediate family members are covered under your license. (FCC 47CFR95.179a )

Good luck with your project.

Pastor Gary-

Thank you for the heads up on that mater.  I will see to it that the rest of them get their license as well.

I will only need about 5 more guys to get theirs as well.  will not be a problem.  as for the rest of the group it will be my kids and wife that are using it. 

Thank you everyone for the input.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ezekiel,

You are on the right track.See if you are able to get access to the property and go from there.I would suggest at least 70ft where you will be above the noise floor and hopefully above the trees because they will degrade a system in a hurry.The proposed repeater you mentioned making out of 2 radios running 40 watts.I suggest you turn down the power to 25-30 watts to save the power amplifier from overheating and quit.

Height is your friend and unless you have a good antenna and feed line you have nothing.I have a 100 watt repeater that was taken out by lightning and replaced it with a repeater running 20 watts.I have the same range as before.Power output isn't everything actually it is nothing without a good antenna system antenna system to get your message out to others,have a good weekend...William

PS,

Regarding your feed line do not use RG 8 or anything in that area nor LMR400 the dissimilar metals in the LMR400 does not work well with the duplexer in a repeater set up.I suggest at least 1/2 inch hard line known as Heliax. Here is their website.http://commscope.com/catalog/wireless/product_details.aspx?id=1329

William

thank you for the heads up on all of that,

thank you to everyone for the solid advice.  I will take it into effect when I start my build..  If it is alright I will post updates, and ask advice as I go along with it. 

Oh please do. And do not be afraid to ask more questions. Be sure to get all necessary info before your build, especially if your build incorporates a battery or solar panels.

• 3 months later...

Logan 5

I am very familiar with solar systems and battery back ups,  I have built control boxes both solar and AC for Cellular networks.  However I have never build the radio portion.

I will be building sometime soon we will see how it works.

thank you for the help.

Did you get this project done? How did it turn out for you?