HOA Antenna Restrictions

gcoleman

Just wondering if anyone might have an update to FCC GN Docket 12-91 which was is/was related to an effort by the FCC to collect info on HOA antenna restrictions from the general public. I found a few forums that discuss the topic but the posts are more than a year old. It was around that time that the submission period had closed but I can't find anything what-so-ever on the outcome or even the current status. The FCC doesn't have any further info either (at least not on their website). My feeling is that it's completely 'dead in the water' so to speak. Just curious as I do live in a H.O.A. community.

Gene

Hello, Gene, and Welcome to the Forum. 

Many FCC initiated inquiries for public feedback have not been heard from since the closure dates for feedback.

Budget cuts and now the sequester has most likely put many agency projects on hold.

What I can say is this... the reason that my family does not live at The Villages in central Florida is their complete lack of respect for ANY radio operators and the fact that almost all petitions from established residents to put up antennas, towers or any hardware related to radio systems is disallowed.  Their line is that "we must maintain a 'certain look and ambience' to our community".   I wonder if they would complain that when a fire breaks out in their 'community' that the fire department and police are dispatched from a TOWER that saves lives.  So it is with commercial two way and amateur systems in Tropical Storm and Hurricane situations, but they are hard hearted against these first responders over the airwaves.

The FCC intent was to potentially slap HOA's with discrimination actions on behalf of a class of citizens, and lawyers would have had a field day in civil court getting relief for their clients. We haven't heard anything and may not for some time...until government gets smaller and agency funding in appropriate levels is back in place.

I have heard that amateur operators are installing shared towers OUTSIDE the HOA jurisdictions and using window mount hidden antennas to access the repeaters.  SHHHH....don't tell anyone....

I just purchased a home in a community. We chose this particular neighborhood because it has a voluntary HOA. There are no by laws or restrictions. neighbors volunteer to do things in our community and the HOA fee is not required to be paid. We have an automated guard shack with Traffic control "lite deterrent" at best, but it also has cameras and DVR. I obtained a telescoping and tilt over tower with a spade "stick in the ground base, I had originally planed to give it a more secure install in concrete, but that would make it a fixed structure. giving code say on where and how it is installed. a non fixed tower does not require a building permit or code inspections in my county or city as long as the retracted tower is less than 35 feet tall.  I am certain I would never buy in an strict HOA ever, for more reasons than just radio towers. I also require solar panels on my roof and prefer to paint my house any color I wish.  I once obtained a heap of high quality driveway pavers from a free cycler, I ask why he was giving so many good pavers away, he said they just bought the house and after they moved in the "community welcome wagon" arrived and told them that the pavers of the sidewalk must match in color and shape the pavers in the driveway. since the previous owner sold, they had all the power to force them to do as told. They also gave them a few color swaths they could paint house and trim colors. any deviation required written permission from the HOA. They had 2 weeks to get proper window coverings up and they claimed that white unmarked pick up trucks "considered commercial" were not to be parked in front of homes after 5:30 pm. I would never agree to anything like this. I don't know why anyone would.

Thanks for the replies! I've actually installed a strategically placed 'mobile' antenna (small 5" wire antenna) above my roofline that works well. It's right next to an approved HDTV antenna and is so small that you can't really notice it! We'll see how long that lasts! Since my area is elevated in relation to the Tucson valley, I have a small advantage. Anyhow, my ultimate goal is to move to a non-hoa community which will solve many of those issues. For now, I'm hitting the local repeaters and getting good simplex range as well. I like that I can communicate with my son when he treks into the desert near my home. Cell phones are good but there's nothing like instant communication! I don't plan on getting into the other bands but I do remember how I used to marvel at my granddad's HAM equipment that could reach to other countries! I also want to say that I think this is an awesome website with great info (especially repeater info) and have to really say 'hats off' to the creator! I'll be a member as long as the site is around. thanks again for the input folks - it's nice to have people with knowledge that I can turn to when I need help!

Thanks for the replies!  I also want to say that I think this is an awesome website with great info (especially repeater info) and have to really say 'hats off' to the creator! I'll be a member as long as the site is around. thanks again for the input folks - it's nice to have people with knowledge that I can turn to when I need help!

Very good, glad to be of assistance. This is a good place. Please consider a donation to www.myGMRS.com