how can a GMRS repeater be built or bought with part 95 compliance?

rzrbax

Question

I am new to this forum, but am stumped as to where to go to get info on making or buying GMRS repeaters.  Who makes them that are part 95 compliant.  I see lots of old stuff on Ebay, but who knows if they are legal?  Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

KG5RGI

WQYR910

11 answers to this question

I and others on here are of the opinion that any Part 90 gear that meets the technical requirements in Part 95 (which virtually all do today) is okay to use on GMRS when operated within the appropriate limits. I know you mentioned Part 95 specifically, and there is still a legal gray area on what I just said above. The issue is that there isn't a lot of equipment available that is certified for GMRS to the extent that the Part 95 rules are a major hinderance to the service.

Following the letter of the law, then you should only use Part 95 equipment. However the rules exist to set minimum technical requirements and modern Part 90 radios are compliant and worthy substitutes (in many cases also exceed the specifications of Part 95).

From an enforcement standpoint, it's really a non-issue. I've seen no reports of the FCC taking issue with a Part 90 radio, being operated correctly (i.e. within proper power limits), on GMRS. There is no way to tell aside from a station inspection that the radio is not Part 95 compliant.

I'll stress once again that this is opinion, but it is a prevailing opinion in the community it seems.

...From an enforcement standpoint, it's really a non-issue. I've seen no reports of the FCC taking issue with a Part 90 radio, being operated correctly (i.e. within proper power limits), on GMRS. There is no way to tell aside from a station inspection that the radio is not Part 95 compliant....

Out of curiosity, I scanned the FCC enforcement records (URL below) and cannot find any enforcement actions based on equipment at all. That is not to say there aren't any, my search may have been faulty or they could pre-date the publicly available data. But, unless someone announces "Hey, how does my cool little Baofeng radio sound," as long as you are transmitting a clean signal with appropriate power, it is impossible to detect.  OTOH, if you flagrantly misuse the service and the FCC van roll up outside your door and they find your 100 watt radio set for GMRS, well...

BTW, for FRS there are only two actions, both related to misuse. One guy actually built an FRS repeater out of a GR1225. Presumably the receivers were not FRS accepted  :-)

One guy actually built an FRS repeater out of a GR1225. Presumably the receivers were not FRS accepted :-)

Receivers don't actually require type acceptance for the service they are operated in.

Only issues I've ever seen with part 90 equipment involved malicious/destructive interference from either a hams who assumed he was in the right because he had a general license or someone who just didn't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Receivers don't actually require type acceptance for the service they are operated in.

Of course. I was using the term loosely to mean transceiver, or end user radio. The repeater's input and output were on FRS frequencies. So, they obviously used non-FRS equipment (i.e. something that could do a non-standard offset) to talk to the repeater.