Part 95 Repeaters

commsprepper

Question

I recently contacted Midland to describe the need for a "plug-n-play"  GMRS repeater. I listed all of the features that I desired, and added that making it "portable" and operable on 12VDC would be a big plus.  I even suggested that they might spec-out an existing model being produced in the PRC.  I even have a name for the dream machine....the Midland MXT-R50. Front-panel programmable, 50W, integral duplexer, RF circulator,etc (if necessary). If you would like to see such produced, contact Midland!Also feel free to add to the features that you would like to see.

While you are at it, ask Midland to produce a GMRS/repeater-capable HT that is type-accepted!

Bridgecom is the closest you can get to that idea. Unfortunately you won't get a "front panel programmable" since Part 90 and 95 still prohibit that for ANY transmitter in those services.

Motorola, Kenwood, Vertex, Icom - they all had 50w "desktop repeaters" that can have a power supply built in and DC failover/backup in many... but now you're looking at a DMR capable model to do so.

The issue isn't Part 95 compliance - the issue is that we the GMRS community need to get the FCC to explicitly ALLOW Part 90 equipment on GMRS. They made a step towards it with some ambiguous wording in the newest rule revisions - but still cannot get their Enforcement Bureau to agree the wording means "Part 90 is allowed" - to calm some peoples' nerves.

In the end - Part 90 or 95 repeaters will always be an expensive proposition for a quality system. Even if Midland was to take one of their Public Safety line repeaters and offer it as a "GMRS package" - you won't be saving much over buying a TKR-850 for instance.

Bridgecom is the closest you can get to that idea. Unfortunately you won't get a "front panel programmable" since Part 90 and 95 still prohibit that for ANY transmitter in those services.

While Bridgecom repeaters aren't FPP, they are very easy to program via a laptop and the programming software. Another neat feature is that provided you are going to use separate antennas (avoiding a duplexer entirely), you can program up to 16 separate channels, which each channel allowing for multiple access tones (so each subscriber can have their own tone).

Each frequency has a remote operators tone and password to allow for enabling/disabling subscriber's tones, and even changing frequency channels remotely. The control operator can also shut down the repeater remotely, then bring it back online when wishing to resume service.