newbie help...

tcushman

I'm not familiar with any third party handheld antennas for GMRS, except most stock antennas such as th baofeng ones are suppose to be tuned for GMRS and Nagoya has a couple commercial antennas for GMRS. I usually favour Tram for mobile or base, they're usually okay for the price unless you can afford something like a Diamond or Comet. There's also a shop on eBay that sells some, I've checked them out last year and they're still doing well.

I think the usual "stock antennas are junk" is kind of overrated. It's always nice to upgrade with better quality accessories over stock accessories, but, I think a lot of people overlook how well some stock accessories actually are. I've done some testing with various Nagoya antennas and various Baofeng antennas (stock antennas from different Baofeng models) and there was little to no difference. I feel the stock antenna actually receives better on FM broadcast than Nagoya and transmits and receives a bit better on UHF than Nagoya, with the exception that I did get an additional five feet distance with the 771 and 774 and the 805-3 seems to be closest to the stock antennas with FM broadcast unless the 771R or 774 is completely retracted. However, this is with my terrain and comparing with Nagoya. Perhaps a different make such as Comet or Diamond would provide better results to compare and different terrain. I've tried the stock antennas in basements and metal wall constructed buildings, and they seem fine, at least for the needs compared with Nagoya.

I've not done enough testing with a tiger tail / counterpoise to say whether or not It's worth it. I've tried about a 22G 16" insulated wire with a ring terminal around the antenna fitting only on my Baofeng BF-F9. There were times I noticed a little increase, but, because of climate conditions, it varies. However, considering a counterpoise is nothing but a strand of wire that you should be able to either salvage or get for a $1 or less, I'd say just give it a try. You want a nice length, but, something that isn't too much for you to carry. But, you could easily take it off and put it in your pocket or bag if needed.