New Guy

tbutcher

Hello,

I am new to this whole thing.  I have a Baofeng UV-5R, and used CHIRP to program it sing Freqs I found on  a Prepper site.  I am confused on the repater usage and distances they achieve.  Probably got way too many programmed and think I can figure out how to minimize them using CHIRP.  Any advise and assistacne would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Welcome.

Repeater usage is fine. Distance is within town depending on antenna, terrain and other obstructions or interference. I would get about six or seven miles with my terrain and handheld antenna for repeaters. Handheld to handheld is about one - two miles for me. I've not tried handheld to mobile or base. Mount a mobile or base antenna higher and can expect a bit more. There's never "too many" programed. However, if you have a bunch programed that odds are, you're too far to use or odds you would never plan on being within town to use it, I'd remove. However, only you can decide what your prep needs are. If you have any specific questions, I can try to assist.

Hello,

I am new to this whole thing.  I have a Baofeng UV-5R, and used CHIRP to program it sing Freqs I found on  a Prepper site.  I am confused on the repater usage and distances they achieve.  Probably got way too many programmed and think I can figure out how to minimize them using CHIRP.  Any advise and assistacne would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

I have around 15 or so repeaters programmed into my radios but only use 2-3 of them so far and 99% of the time only one.  We have a really great repeater here in Warrenton, VA up about 1100 feet. If you look it up here in the repeater section you will see a color coded range map (math model) that will give you a good idea of the estimated range over all kinds of terrain. This map has been verified with hours of field testing by four people, at the extreme range of the repeater and much of the data was collected with 5-8 watt hand held radios.

So far the longest distance with a HT was 47.5 miles talking over three mountain ranges. Typically 30 miles or more is not a problem in average rolling terrain with the HT's. The longest distance with a mobile radio so far is 75 miles but the driver was camping on a higher elevation. One ground level base station comes in loud and clear from 65 mile north of the repeater so we are pretty happy with the performance.

I hope this helps.

B.B.

I have around 15 or so repeaters programmed into my radios but only use 2-3 of them so far and 99% of the time only one.  We have a really great repeater here in Warrenton, VA up about 1100 feet. If you look it up here in the repeater section you will see a color coded range map (math model) that will give you a good idea of the estimated range over all kinds of terrain. This map has been verified with hours of field testing by four people, at the extreme range of the repeater and much of the data was collected with 5-8 watt hand held radios.

So far the longest distance with a HT was 47.5 miles talking over three mountain ranges. Typically 30 miles or more is not a problem in average rolling terrain with the HT's. The longest distance with a mobile radio so far is 75 miles but the driver was camping on a higher elevation. One ground level base station comes in loud and clear from 65 mile north of the repeater so we are pretty happy with the performance.

I hope this helps.

B.B.

Thanks  curious on how well they work in the Colorado Mountains

Thanks  curious on how well they work in the Colorado Mountains

I'm seeing some mountain peaks to the west of you that are topping out at 9400 ft. If you could get a repeater up there the line of sight calculator says you could talk 141 miles to the east. From Pike's Peak you could talk into Kansas (171 miles)!