Looking for cheap dual band 16 channel handheld

WQWI871

Cheap, really really cheap. Some radios such as the UV-5R are affordable, but, it adds up when purchasing multiple. Also, I feel that the 16 channels are more basic to avoid accidental mess ups and good for comms. Something the price of Baofeng BF-888s. But, the cheapest 16 channel dual bands I seem to find are about $70. The power and other features are not important for It's intended usage. Just cheap 16 channel. Anyone know of any or where I could check? I've tried eBay, Amazon and a couple online radio shops.

How many is "multiple?" The KD C1 are available for as low as $18 single, $15/ea in a two-pack, or $14.99/ea in a ten-pack.

They are sixteen channel (UHF only), and are only PC programmable. This makes them "safe" to hand over to folks who cannot screw up the programming. I have had four of them now for nearly a year, and they are fantastic!

Since they have fixed antennas, and you can limit the power during programming, I set mine up with both FRS and GMRS 'channels.'

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wln+kd-c1&sprefix=wln%2Caps%2C150&crid=22LQWR26DFHXW

Edited by n4gix

Dang. That would be great, but, unfortunately, it kind of needs to be VHF and UHF, one reason is because I planned to have NOAA programed. I have several Baofeng BF-888s, they generally cost about $14 each. But, they're UHF only. It's good as you described, for people trying to learn, It's nice having very few buttons to mess up something. Especially for the clumsy ones. The PC programmable only radios with no more than three buttons that I can limit power or lock is great for that. I like the small size of those you mentioned. I'm looking for about two to start off with, three would be better, depending on the price. But, three would be a little unnecessary. Hmm don't know why a lot of the dual band 16 channel radios are pricey and the cheap ones are UHF only.

Dang. That would be great, but, unfortunately, it kind of needs to be VHF and UHF, one reason is because I planned to have NOAA programed. I have several Baofeng BF-888s, they generally cost about $14 each. But, they're UHF only. It's good as you described, for people trying to learn, It's nice having very few buttons to mess up something. Especially for the clumsy ones. The PC programmable only radios with no more than three buttons that I can limit power or lock is great for that. I like the small size of those you mentioned. I'm looking for about two to start off with, three would be better, depending on the price. But, three would be a little unnecessary. Hmm don't know why a lot of the dual band 16 channel radios are pricey and the cheap ones are UHF only.

Just food for thought, with the GMRS-V1 you can get the use you want for your needs, to include programming your weather band channels and be compliant with the FCC parts 95A & 15B. The cost of this model maybe more than what you want to pay (currently$54.99) from BTech and Amazon) but at least you will be legal in operating.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Do you want something cheap or something that works (decently well)?

I get it, I mean not everyone has money to throw at this hobby, but the best experience is had with moderately good or better equipment. Some of this stuff on the market I would not touch with a 39.5 Foot pole....or an low band 1/4 wave whip....for that matter. 

I have a UV5R, it has so many quirks, I consider it a toy more than something that I rely on. 

Just food for thought, with the GMRS-V1 you can get the use you want for your needs, to include programming your weather band channels and be compliant with the FCC parts 95A & 15B. The cost of this model maybe more than what you want to pay (currently$54.99) from BTech and Amazon) but at least you will be legal in operating.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

The GMRS-V1 is not dual band or a 16 channel no display handheld and doesn't fit my criteria. I don't plan on using GMRS.

Do you want something cheap or something that works (decently well)?

I get it, I mean not everyone has money to throw at this hobby, but the best experience is had with moderately good or better equipment. Some of this stuff on the market I would not touch with a 39.5 Foot pole....or an low band 1/4 wave whip....for that matter. 

I have a UV5R, it has so many quirks, I consider it a toy more than something that I rely on. 

To give you an idea of what "quality" is fine for me, the Baofeng BF-888s and UV-5R's are fine. IF, of course, the 888s would be dual band and the UV-5R was a 16 channel handheld with no display and the many buttons. The radios will not be used as personal radios, I have my better handhelds for that. For the intended application, however, something cheap in my specified criteria is all.

• 3 months later...

Since things move somewhat slowly at times on these forums, I hope this post isn't considered necroposting. I wanted to make sure that the OP and anyone else searching for a display-less, dual band handheld in the future know about this option.

I used a Boafeng UV-6 when I was in the fields working on the farm. It has 128 channels but it does it in banks. That means one should be able to just program up the first bank and use it as a 16 channel handheld. It does both VHF and UHF. It worked pretty well for me in the field and seemed about as durable as a BF-888. At the time, I think I paid around $20~$25 for it new but I can't recall for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-6-VHF-136-174MHz-Professional/product-reviews/B00E4KCDAW

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dozen of the Baofeng UV-5R radios that are programmed for all of the GMRS and MURS frequencies, as well as the 2-meter and 70-cm ham frequencies. They are easily programmable via computer and are dirt cheap on Amazon. 

One thing I like about them is that they have an alphanumeric display so instead of having the frequency displayed, it can show the name of the channel or repeater, ie: GMRS 1, MURS 3, HON REP, etc. Or you can opt to have the frequency displayed if you prefer.

I have a dozen of the Baofeng UV-5R radios that are programmed for all of the GMRS and MURS frequencies, as well as the 2-meter and 70-cm ham frequencies. They are easily programmable via computer and are dirt cheap on Amazon.

One thing I like about them is that they have an alphanumeric display so instead of having the frequency displayed, it can show the name of the channel or repeater, ie: GMRS 1, MURS 3, HON REP, etc. Or you can opt to have the frequency displayed if you prefer.

Bear in mind, use of a uv-5r is illegal on GMRS and MURS. They do not have part 95 certification.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Since things move somewhat slowly at times on these forums, I hope this post isn't considered necroposting. I wanted to make sure that the OP and anyone else searching for a display-less, dual band handheld in the future know about this option.

I used a Boafeng UV-6 when I was in the fields working on the farm. It has 128 channels but it does it in banks. That means one should be able to just program up the first bank and use it as a 16 channel handheld. It does both VHF and UHF. It worked pretty well for me in the field and seemed about as durable as a BF-888. At the time, I think I paid around $20~$25 for it new but I can't recall for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-6-VHF-136-174MHz-Professional/product-reviews/B00E4KCDAW

Those do get good reviews on eham and that is saying something. 

• 8 months later...

I don't know if this thread is still active or relevant, but these are both VHF / UHF AND CHEAP.  You can always lock the keypad to for normal people use.

Baofeng BF-8HP+ available from Wally World:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-Baofeng-BF-F8-V-UHF-136-174-400-520MHz-Two-way-Ham-FM-Amateur-Radio-Earpiece/110615490?athcpid=110615490&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=cdb0bd56-56a-1678572175c961&athena=true