So I heard something that sounded like Motobro or DMR.

kidphc

902 MHz is quiet in my area as well. I use Kenwood TK-941's, as I used to work for Zetron, then a division of the JVC/Kenwood Group and could get surplus cheap to free. My current work involves a lot of XPRxxx/e's, and while a great radio, the fun factor goes away working with them and then using them as a hobby. I also have to tie P-25 Phase 1 and 2 radios to Trbo networks, and bang for the buck Trbo is great, for professional and amateur use. UHF is very popular in my area, and my XPR6550 gets a lot of use, but an Anytone 878 is also beneficial for VHF/UHF use, and as a weather radio. I can see how antenna connectors are an issue, many people use handhelds in a mobile capacity and being able to connect to a roof mounted antenna is beneficial. Thank you for the response. 

I'm really happy with my Anytone 878 for DMR and everyday FM.  It's been said that the configuration of 878 is a bit "hairy" - but then the configuration options are endless. I'm a bit of a technology freak - so wrapping my head around DMR and the Anytone was seen as a challenge. I'm glad, though, this radio fits me like a glove.

11 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

902 MHz is quiet in my area as well. I use Kenwood TK-941's, as I used to work for Zetron, then a division of the JVC/Kenwood Group and could get surplus cheap to free. My current work involves a lot of XPRxxx/e's, and while a great radio, the fun factor goes away working with them and then using them as a hobby. I also have to tie P-25 Phase 1 and 2 radios to Trbo networks, and bang for the buck Trbo is great, for professional and amateur use. UHF is very popular in my area, and my XPR6550 gets a lot of use, but an Anytone 878 is also beneficial for VHF/UHF use, and as a weather radio. I can see how antenna connectors are an issue, many people use handhelds in a mobile capacity and being able to connect to a roof mounted antenna is beneficial. Thank you for the response. 

As far as I know P25 phase 2 isn’t really finalized and it’s targeted at trunking systems anyway I believe.

I got a clean looking Kenwood TK-5320 UHF P25 phase 1 radio. I found out I can’t access the trunking menus unless I have a “key file”. So far I haven’t had any success getting a copy of the key file software. I got the radio with the 400 to 470 band split primarily for Ham use so the trunking menus are not useful other than to satisfy my curiosity.

A buddy just picked up a used XTS-5000 which he wants to use as a scanner for the local public safety frequencies on 800MHz. In his case he found an old DOS program for generating the key file. He seems to have gotten what’s called “non affiliated” scanning working on it. 

One other bit of software I’ve been on the lookout for it the “key loader” which loads the digital encryption keys into the radios. Seems like both Motorola and Kenwood uses this method. Depending on the radio it’s either an option you need a license for to enable it, or a separate option board that installs in the radio. In the Kenwood case the software uses a serial connection on the multi-pin port to talk directly to the encryption module.

The D878’s you just enter the keys into the radio’s CPS and write the code plug to the radio. So, in a SHTF situation these radios are easy to setup for secure communications without extra software or hardware. My understanding is the D878’s use DES256 encryption which I’ve read will work with Motorola’s DES256 but not the simpler basic encryption if that is of any interest to anyone.

Project 25 (P25) was an offshoot of Project 16 (3600 baud data and common air interface etc.), setting standards for public safety radio. P25 began in 1989 with 9600 baud data transfer, common air interface among manufacturers, and the requirement for individual radio ID's, with analog conventional or FDMA (Frequency Division Multiple Access) trunking. 2012 led to Phase 2 with Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) trunking.

To affiliate with a P25 network, there is a need for a System Key, which there is generation software out there. As you mentioned, it is possible to have a non-affiliate scanning radio, and the XTS-5000 is a good one for that. Key Loaders can be software or hardware, and there is a need for appropriate hardware and software, Motorola calling it a "Flash" with specific options. Keys can then be loaded via a Key Variably Loader (hardware), or via Over The Air Rekey (OTAR) if hardware, software, and network configuration is correct and appropriate. Have fun with Kenwood and Motorola equipment, it can be fun, and educational.