Any CHIRP-supported Icom or Kenwood HTs that can be programmed from the keypad?

duckduck

I've got a BTECH GMRS-V2 and a Wouxun UV9PX and I can add a new repeater / channel to either via CHIRP or from the keypad. I see that there are Icom and Kenwood HTs supported by CHIRP (I don't see any Motorola radios on the list, unfortunately). Are there any Icom or Kenwood (or other "commercial") HTs that are supported by CHIRP and that can be programmed from the keypad?

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, duckduck said:

I've got a BTECH GMRS-V2 and a Wouxun UV9PX and I can add a new repeater / channel to either via CHIRP or from the keypad. I see that there are Icom and Kenwood HTs supported by CHIRP (I don't see any Motorola radios on the list, unfortunately). Are there any Icom or Kenwood (or other "commercial") HTs that are supported by CHIRP and that can be programmed from the keypad?

All amateur HT's can be programmed from the keypad. And you'll never see a Motorola that can be programmed via Chirp. Motorola has a proprietary programming system.

Conversely most true "commercial" (business/land mobile) radios are not supposed to be programmable by any front panel controls -- per FCC regulations these are supposed to be programmed by some service center to just the frequencies authorized by the license held by that commercial entity.

Even old (circa 1995) GMRS radios only allowed one to set CTCSS tones, toggle high/low power, and toggle duplex (repeater)/simplex mode. The TWO channels specified on one's license was to be programmed by a service center. Even my ancient Maxon GMRS 210+3 (which was a decent radio in that age, as it had 8 preprogrammed/fixed channels -- the new interstitials 1-7, FCC designated emergency channel (usable regardless of licensed channels -- but only for emergency use unless you had asked for it as one of the two channels on your license) 8, and two "shop programmable" for the licensed channels 9-10.

Of course, Maxon included the 6 page programming manual ? -- pop the rear cover, hold a micro button, scroll up/down to find first frequency, lock it in, repeat for second frequency...