Repeater Access Requests

BobbyV

Hello all,

Glad to be here, but I would like to know why it takes so long to get access to repeaters.  I frequently travel to California (San Diego, San Jose) and would like to gain access to repeaters in the area.  I have some requests outstanding for the San Diego area, but so far no grants.

Is there something else I can do?

Thanks,

Bobby

WRTR577

The repeater owners check for requests for access when they feel like it.. Some do it quickly & often, some never do it.. It is also possible that the repeater is no longer online.

If the repeater has the tones listed publicly its usually ok to start using the repeater and/or ask for permission over the air unless/until the repeater owners asks you to stop. 

When I knew I would be traveling to the Denver area, rather than contacting each individual repeater owner, I contacted the Denver GMRS club as a non-member, and asked for permission to use the various repeaters around Denver and Co. Springs.  Their response was a friendly [paraphrased] "Why don't you just join us?  We get lots of requests for travelers (e.g. temporary repeater users) and we encourage them to just join up, which gives you access [tones] to ALL or our repeaters, no permission necessary."

So I signed up, and used their repeaters, and talked to the guys there.  What a great bunch.  They were welcoming, friendly, talked freely, etc., all to a stranger and temporary user of their system.  I thanked them publicly, and promised to be back, and so I am retaining my membership with them.

I highly encourage responsible local GMRS clubs.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Citizen said:

When I knew I would be traveling to the Denver area, rather than contacting each individual repeater owner, I contacted the Denver GMRS club as a non-member, and asked for permission to use the various repeaters around Denver and Co. Springs.  Their response was a friendly [paraphrased] "Why don't you just join us?  We get lots of requests for travelers (e.g. temporary repeater users) and we encourage them to just join up, which gives you access [tones] to ALL or our repeaters, no permission necessary."

So I signed up, and used their repeaters, and talked to the guys there.  What a great bunch.  They were welcoming, friendly, talked freely, etc., all to a stranger and temporary user of their system.  I thanked them publicly, and promised to be back, and so I am retaining my membership with them.

I highly encourage responsible local GMRS clubs.

I've signed up with some non-local GMRS clubs in areas that I travel in and they're often very receptive to travellers joining their ranks.  I just bought a t-shirt from a group that operates in the area I grew up in.  I'll support the clubs in any way I can.