MXT105B 5W Antenna use with KG1000G+ 50W Radio... (dumb idea?)

Sonicgott

Question

Okay -- radio nerds, feel free to stop me immediately if this is a stupid decision.

So, learning that the Wouxun KG1000G+ doesn't come with a GMRS antenna, wondering if I can use the antenna that came with my 5w radio. My guess is that, no, I can't or shouldn't use it, that the SWR or something would be completely off resulting in terrible performance (or damaging the radio...?)

If getting a different antenna is recommended, what would you pick? I'm looking at some of the shorter "shadow" antennas, since they don't stick out very far. The Wouxun N1 Stealth antenna has terrible reviews, some reporting a 4.8 SWR (yuck). The MXTA25 has a much better, although singular review. Don't like the fact that the cable and base are sold separately. The ANO-050G seems to have the best reviews, but I should consider getting a different base plate for it, needs to be strong to hold the thing.

The roof of my car is all metal, and magnetic mounts work just fine, makes a perfect ground plane.

Regardless, if I'm going to invest in a good radio, I'm thinking I should invest in as just as a good antenna. Good Antenna > More Watts.

4 answers to this question

You absolutely can use your existing antenna without issue.

I would still probably upgrade to something better, but there are many options. The MTXA26 is a great antenna by the reviews, but best if you have the height clearance.

I’ve had great luck with the Midland “Ghost” antenna on the roof (MTXA25) and you could use on a NMO magnetic mount or direct into the roof via NMO mount. I live in the Cascade foothills and have been impressed with my latest antenna, the Larsen LP450NMO. It too can be used with NMO mag mount or direct into NMO mount in the roof, as I did. I prefer the Larsen as it’s shorter and has delivered better “real world” use performance.

Here’s a photo of the Larsen on my son’s Jeep.

dff497be44eaa1ef1e0a67c2f6bd0e9d.jpg

12 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

A short antenna matched with a 50w radio seams silly to me.   An mxt26 is a great antenna and yes most nmo antennas and bases are sold separately. Some are not.      However if you get a good nmo base you can always swap antennas depending on needs. A utg72 is a cheap alternative and works ok but it’s not an nmo mount so when you upgrade you have to run all new wire so I’d recommend a good nmo mount and what ever antenna you want. 

It's just me being cheap... but maybe I should save up for a reliable investment. KNOWING that the existing antenna will work - but with subpar results - is good to know, but nothing beats a good quality antenna.

A short antenna matched with a 50w radio seams silly to me.   An mxt26 is a great antenna and yes most nmo antennas and bases are sold separately. Some are not.      However if you get a good nmo base you can always swap antennas depending on needs. A utg72 is a cheap alternative and works ok but it’s not an nmo mount so when you upgrade you have to run all new wire so I’d recommend a good nmo mount and what ever antenna you want.