Cheap Mobile Mic Hanger "hack"

amaff

Question

Not a question, but a hack I tried that has worked really well.

The absolute worst part of my DB20-G is the mic hanger. It's probably 100% user error, but I could never get the mic re-seated without taking my eyes off the road and sometimes using both hands. It's just a cheap, flimsy design.

I saw a family member using an inexpensive mag-mount for their cell phone a few months ago, and figured, no harm in trying on an inexpensive radio with an even more inexpensive handset.

I took the mic apart (4 small screws) and removed the male 'bobbin' (or whatever it's actually called) part of the mic that slots into the stamped sheet-steel hanger. I was surprised to find a chunk of metal embedded in the back of the mic. It already feels pretty light and flimsy...I imagine it would feel even worse without it.

53753698275_51f32d2e78_h.jpg

I trimmed and bent the flat metal piece that mounts to the device (super hack job, but hey it works) and stuck it to the back of the mic. The only real issue was that the adhesive they come with is pretty terrible and fell off in the heat of the car, so I slapped it back on with some super glue and it's been stuck on since. The only thing I'd do differently is probably use one of the smaller round plates instead of hacking 1 of the bigger rectangles, but I'm not taking this apart to 'correct' that since I can't see it, and it doesn't affect the thing *at all*.

53753263006_eb807f72dc_h.jpg

53753262866_cb835e13f6_h.jpg

This thing works *great*, holds the mic super securely (it's way lighter than a modern "Plus" sized cell phone), and you just need to get it close for it to snap into place.

If you, like me, hate the mic hangers these cheap radios come with, this may work for you.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet