Midland's new antenna lineup

WRQW589

For a few years there were four options in the Midland antenna lineup:

• MXTA13 - 2.1dB, All-in-one magnetic mount, often bundled with MXT105, 115, and 275. $19.99
  • MXTA51 - 2.1dB, NMO with included NMO magnetic mount. Often bundled with MXT500 and 575. $44.99
  • MXTA25 - 3dB, NMO, "Ghost" antenna. $49
  • MXTA26 - 6dB, NMO, Whip antenna, $59. The one to beat, for mobile GMRS.

I noticed this weekend they've added a few more to their lineup. (edit: I mean to say this weekend I noticed, not I noticed that this weekend they've added.)

• MXAT01VP - 7.5dB, Fiberglass at $159
  • MXAT03 - 3dB, Spring mount Bullbar, $179
  • MXAT04 - 6.6dB, Heavy Duty Bullbar, $189
  • MXAT04VP - 6.6dB, Heavy Duty Spring Bullbar with mount and coax, $259
  • MXAT05 - 3dB, Heavy Duty Bullbar, $159
  • MXAT05VP - 3dB, Heavy Duty spring mount with coax Bullbar, $229

The prices seem a little out there to me; none of my mobile antennas cost more than $80, and none of my mounts were over $30. Their new MXTA48 heavy duty spring base is listed at $99 (included with several of the antennas above). Seems like some hype. If I thought I might be trashing a whip antenna or its mount offroad, I'd buy a spare set of a more reasonably priced antenna and mount, and still be under $100. ...Ok, I'll admit it, I already have a few backup options in the garage.

What's the appeal of bullbar antennas? I saw a Reddit thread where the consensus seemed to be putting the antenna on the bumper was a step backwards in performance:

(https://www.reddit.com/r/gmrs/comments/1cbbi0u/finally_bullbar_antennas_in_us/)

Is this fashion over function?

https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/gmrs-antennas-and-understanding-db - The Midland lineup

$159-259 seems a lot to spend on an antenna and mount. I see something from HYS listed as 6.5dBi for $120 that appears to be pretty sturdy, and with a spring mount and cable. I'm not in the market for *yet another* mobile antenna, but it's interesting to see what's out there and what drives the pricing.

15 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

What's the appeal of bullbar antennas?

*Disclaimer: The views expressed by WRQC527 do not necessarily reflect the views of the entire MyGMRS community.

I don't get these antennas. I just watched a couple of videos about them. The reasons folks were running them had more to do with looks than function. They do work just fine, but it was more about wanting to look like their Australian counterparts. Personally, I don't want a four-foot baseball bat on the front or back of my vehicle. Also, I have in the past run one of them fat Firestik CB antennas, which at highway speeds generated a lot of wind noise, and in some cases a "whistle", which can be annoying inside a vehicle. No, for me I'm fine with my Jetstream JTM3B that I hardly know is there and covers GMRS and amateur.

“Bull bar” antennas do not require a ground plane like many/most of the other antennas.  Yes even the ones you see on the midland site mounted to the edge of a fender or roof rack need a ground plane to work right.  So the “bill bar” antennas can be mounted on the edge of a roof rack or a tire carrier and they take more abuse than an mx26 or the like.  For off roading that is happening in heavy woods, brush ect…. the “bull” bar type work great.  I’d never put one on a front bumper but that’s just me.   As for the noise I’ve never noticed any noise but then again big tires, big motor, flat bed with a chase rack spare tire carrier….. windows rolled up ac on and music playing I’ve never heard anything on my off road rigs that bothered me. 

5 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

“Bull bar” antennas do not require a ground plane

My Jetstream doesn't either, but it will probably snap at the base if I hit something with it like the garage door. Those bull bar antennas can probably take quite a hit, what with those springs at the base.