Best GMRS transceiver

Guest Masa

13 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

Had an Army buddy and a good friend that both had Gremlins. Surprisingly good little cars!

And...   Mac's Diner in North Saint Paul for a good burger 'round hear.

People seem to be gravitating toward them in the classic car collector sense 'round here. I, personally, prefer the Pacer or the Pinto (I like things that go boom) myself. 😜

16 minutes ago, RayDiddio said:

People seem to be gravitating toward them in the classic car collector sense 'round here. I, personally, prefer the Pacer or the Pinto (I like things that go boom) myself. 😜

Had a friend with a Pacer - ugly outside, but pretty nice inside. I had an Ambassador - front seat folded down into a massive bed and the 390 V8 was a screamer even in that barge.  But also a fan of Bugs. And Bugs are only air cooled, rear engine, anything else is a New Beetle only!!!

Then there's the Vega - good styling but man what a Turd, especially up here in Salted Winter Roadland.

On 7/20/2024 at 11:32 AM, Guest Masa said:

I am one of beginner of GMRS. Please recommend several excellent transceiver.

My use is not for family communication. Just looking for communication with someone who has GMRS transceiver.

Depends on what you want to do and how much you're willing to invest.

Keep something in mind is that GMRS is more of a utility rather than the "rag chew" radio service. It's used to keep in touch with people you know you travel with on a regular basis, such as hiking, camping, traveling on the road, and so on. Some people will use it for casual conversation, but it varies quite a bit.

I'd research GMRS radios, and what you want to do.

Do you want to:

Walk with a radio? Travel with one in the car? Have one at home as a base station?

A lot of companies make good quality radios. I happen to have a Wouxun KG1000G+ in my car. It was a bit of an investment, but works reliably and I use it all the time when I travel. I don't do home base stations due to living on the ground floor of my apartment. Line-of-Sight is very helpful with GMRS. If you're surrounded with hills and railroad tracks like I am, then a GMRS base station won't be good for you.

If you're out in the open, such as walking to parks, going camping with buddies, a handheld transceiver (or handy-talky as they might be called, HT for short) might be for you. A "get-your-feet-wet" GMRS radio might set you back $30, but a good handheld radio may run $100 or more. If you've got the money, buy a good radio. But even better, make sure to have a good antenna, as that can make a huge difference on its own. Stock antennas that come with some radios are not as efficient. (FRS radios cannot have their antennas changed -- usually).

Hope this helps. ❤️