RETRANS to REPEATER

If you live on the opposite side of a mountain, hill, ridgeline or other obstacles, that prevent you from hitting a repeater, there is a way you can do this with another repeater and linking them. RETRANS will allow you to use a mobile or HT and relay to a repeater not just another radio. Works great and has helped communities get connected. Also very inexpensive to do. 

1 hour ago, WSBQ643 said:

I think this was not worded well. The RETRANS does not require another repeater! This is for an HT or Mobile to be able to hit a repeater over some kind of obstacle they cannot otherwise hear or see. 

What is this?  Are you talking about what is commonly known as a "parrot repeater" that automatically re-transmits a received signal on the same frequency a few seconds later, or something else?

Of coarse it’s possible. It’s just adding in another repeater not really hard at all.  I wouldn’t trust hand helds to do the job very long but yes it will work. It’s what many law enforcement and fire do. They have a vehicle repeater in the car or truck that repeats from the personnel’s hand helds to dispatch. 

It is just another repeater of sorts without the cost or a repeater or the cost of the type of mobile repeater you are talking about. This is for the people who are on a budget and want to connect with a repeater instead of just radio to radio. As for the portables a small solar panel and battery work great and cost effective. Just an idea I have not seen on here that may help someone. Hope it does.