Programming Ailunce HA1G to Local Repeaters

plumberbubba

Question

Hi all. 

First, I'd like to apologize if this has been asked and answered a thousand times. I just got my FCC Call sign on 10/16, and have been listening on my gmrs to the local traffic (SoCal) on the simplex channels.

I've also been able to pick up quite a bit of chatter from what seems like a regular local group in the afternoons. These guys are on my handheld's repeater channel 7, which is 462.7.

My question is multi pronged, unfortunately.

First question is, according to the range on the map here on mygmrs, I am a bit out of range of the repeater on the 462.7 frequency. I am, however, within range of another repeater with a much larger (according to the map, at least) range, say about 40-50 miles. Does this mean that the 462.7 repeater outside my range is being rebroadcast to the repeater closest to me with the larger range? It is so large per the map, that it does overlap with the coverage for the 462.70 repeater, and I have heard people on this frequency mention being out by where this repeater is (the one further out, for which I am out of its range).

My second question, is how I would go about attempting to communicate on this repeater channel? I am somewhat confused, because my understanding is that in order to hear these folks, I need to be on that 462.70 frequency, and on this note, have not heard them on any other of my repeater channels. The issue becomes that per the map, I am outside of the 462.70 repeater's range. Would this be alleviated as long as I used the channel/frequency rx/tx for the repeater for which I AM in range for, and then that signal get through all the way out to theirs?

My last question is, would anyone happen to know how to enter the rx/tx via the handheld Ailunce HA1G? I can open what looks to be the channel settings for the repeater channel/frequency in question, but it doesn't look like it will let me key in the corresponding rx/tx data.

Thank you so much ahead of time, I apologize for the wall of text. Super excited to be getting started in this. 

1 answer to this question