computer UPS unit with automotive battery as power supply

earl

Question

I use a computer UPS unit with a bad battery replaced with a automotive battery as a power supply for my Kenwood 805D radios This lets me have communications durring power outages, keeps my battery charged, and lets me charge cell phones or other low draw ac durring a power outage.

3 answers to this question

I have a UPS to which I have added external battery leads (with an isolator diode) so that I can connect a large deep cycle type battery during prolonged power outages. The battery can be charged by mains voltage or from an automotive alternator. 

I was very surprised at the 'service time' of just the internal 7 AH battery. It ran for over 45 minutes driving a large monitor, computer, external hard drive, and cable modem. And still wasn't under 10.5 VDC. My external battery was 70 AH.  Extrapolating out to 7 hours!

As I mentioned in another forum, the Optima Spiral Wound Deep Cycle batteries are Da Bomb. 

David

I have a UPS to which I have added external battery leads (with an isolator diode) so that I can connect a large deep cycle type battery during prolonged power outages. The battery can be charged by mains voltage or from an automotive alternator. 

I was very surprised at the 'service time' of just the internal 7 AH battery. It ran for over 45 minutes driving a large monitor, computer, external hard drive, and cable modem. And still wasn't under 10.5 VDC. My external battery was 70 AH.  Extrapolating out to 7 hours!

As I mentioned in another forum, the Optima Spiral Wound Deep Cycle batteries are Da Bomb. 

David

So far optimas are the only batteries I've found worth a flip. I had a Yellow top make it 8 years in my XJ. Then it got to the point where if it wasn't on a maintainer during times the temperature dropped below 45º F. I've been testing out the slightly cheaper Duralast AGM's in both my XJ and Trailblazer. So far so good.