How to get a GMRS license

mcallahan

How to apply for a GMRS license and receive your FCC call sign

Here is a step by step guide on how to obtain a GMRS license and call sign from the FCC.  I originally posted this on my blog, but I want to share all the same content here for future reference for any members, guests, and visitors to myGMRS.com.

To obtain a GMRS license, one must file an application with the FCC and pay a $70 fee.  No exam is required, and the license is valid for 10 years.  The FCC’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) is is an online portal to manage your FCC applications/licenses, and pay any applicable fees via a single account. The ULS eliminates the need for paper applications and submitting via snail mail. You may also view the status of pending licenses in the ULS.  Once registered with the ULS, you will receive an FCC Registration Number (FRN).  This is a 10-digit number that is assigned to a business or individual registering with the FCC, and is used to identify the registrant’s business dealings with the FCC.  Once you have this ID number – save it!  This will be your username to log in to the Universal Licensing System.

Before continuing, I want to highlight one very important consideration when dealing with FCC licenses.  Your call sign and license is public information and is easily searchable in FCC databases and other records.  Should you choose to register with your home address, this will be visible to anybody if they have your call sign.  Exposing personal information on the internet is a concern now more than ever, so one approach to limiting the amount of personal information in FCC databases is to use a P.O. Box as your contact address.  Here is what my GMRS license information looks like when queried in the FCC database - WRAA720:

yNVWELZ.png

I use this P.O. Box address in the center of my local metro area as my primary contact location for all FCC forms and dealings. My actual home address is not associated with my FCC licenses.

Step 1: Create an FCC Universal Licensing System account

If you are a first time user, create a new ULS account here (skip this step if you have an existing ULS account).  Select “Register” to be issued a new FCC Registration Number:

FZu6K00.png

Some questions are asked before proceeding, then you can fill out an application with your name, address, password, etc:

ey6HFJA.png

BTCl7MX.png

Step 2: Log in to the ULS

After creating the account, or if you have an existing ULS account, log in here. Use your existing FCC Registration Number (FRN), or the FRN provided after completing the first step.

IUaBYNz.png

Once you are logged in, you will be taken to this screen which shows your current and applied for licenses:

p9W5ECg.png

Step 3: Begin application for a GMRS license

Now we can apply for a GMRS license and pay the fee.  On the left hand side menu click “Apply for a New License.”

XqYxsc4.png

On the next screen, select “ZA-General Mobile Radio Service” from the very bottom of the drop down menu and click Continue.

FcIaXfF.png

The next step is to answer these applicant questions.  Most people can leave “no” selected for each:

T4Nlin9.png

Click continue after these questions, and on the next screen supply the licensee name and address:

3At1mp6.png

- Part 2 continued below as there is a limit to the number of images in a post -

- Part 2 continued -

Once this is complete, click Continue.  The next step is to answer the following question, then click Continue again:

43cKWFb.png

The next step will show you a summary of the application.  Verify all the information supplied is correct, and click “Continue to Certify.”

mMCl5jD.png

Step 4: Submit the application

The final step before submitting application is reading all the certification statements, which summarize the rules you are agreeing to follow as a GMRS license holder.  Electronically sign the application and submit:

nc6RYVv.png

When you submit the application, you will be prompted to complete payment.  After that, all you can do is wait!  Applications will appear in ULS Application Search in about one or two businesses days after the application is filed. If you made an error in the application – don’t worry!  You can file an amendment to the application.  See the Applying for a New License in the Universal Licensing System FAQ for more information about the application process for FCC licenses.  I have read posts online where people have reported getting their license within a day, and I’ve read posts where people said it took three weeks, so I can’t give an accurate answer to the “how long until I receive my call sign?” question.  I applied for my GMRS license around the holidays and it took two weeks to receive my call sign.

Step 5: Receive call sign and download authorization documents

Check back to the Universal Licensing System daily, and when you see the call sign under “My Licenses” you are ready to get on the air!  To download or print a paper copy of the license authorization, click Download Electronic Authorizations:

nL0RisA.png

Select your GMRS call sign from the “Filter by Radio Service” box and add it to the “Authorizations to Download” box then click Download:

vsnaKHz.png

The GMRS Authorization looks like this:

ejJVxMm.png