Wouxan Warranty Service

captdan

Dan,

I am in the process of dealing with Wouxun warranty service and the emails I sent to China have been a slow and long process.I finally got as rude as I could be to them to get any action.I told them when a product is under warranty at least in the US that it was a covered repair,they offered to sell me replacement parts and I said no and finally had to demand the send it to me at no charge.They agreed after months of hesitation and it is on the way with them footing the bill but I still say it is not what is wrong with my radio.

I explained the problem with the control head I was having they stated one could be sent to me at shipping cost ,I said no.Then they told me after further investigation it was in the PCB and agreed to send it,I said why do you not send both,to me they were stalling and refused to send a replacement head.My problem is the head will scramble up the alpha display when in alpha mode with scan off and this is head number 2 in which my local dealer had swapped prior to this mess up.

After the dealer taking my head and using it on his radio the same happened to him,so I got with my dealer and decided to email Wouxun for a answer which was a slow process and lots of aggravation.My dealer has the same problem with Wouxun as I do,they do not stand behind any warranty and expect the dealers to repair the radios at the dealers expense which I find unacceptable.This is my experience with Wouxun yours may be better but it looks like a cheap company who doesn't stand behind their product and they also begged me not to give them a bad reputation by word of mouth but I will not be given the run around...William

I started a new thread - I did not want to hijack the previous thread - I copied and pasted the reply to my question.

William  - it seems as if I am going to have the same problem - at least your dealer is involved - I was told that my dealer is on vacation and given the wouxun e-mail address and told to contact them.

I have e-mailed them and so far have not received a response - I will continue to try and contact them and see what happens.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dan

captdan,

Are you already having issues with your Wouxun? Which model did you receive? I have the KG-920P-A, when you power up the unit the left side will say "Wouxun" and the right will say the model number. Make sure they didn't send you the KG-920P (without the "A"). I have heard of people having issues with these units, their symptoms are identical to William's. I do not remember reading about these issues associated with the "A" variant.

William,

Check yours as well please, I am interested to see which version you have. I am starting to think I should expect future failures based on your report and captdan mentioning having to contact Wouxun.

One other thing, I know William's background and proficiency in Amateur, but how is the radio grounded (if a mobile install)? If it is not grounded to the battery or engine ground, try that first and see if your issues resolve. This radio seems to be very particular about it's ground point.

Jeremy,

I purchased a number of Wouxun radios in June.  Mobiles and hand held units.  T

The unit I am having a problem with in one of the hand held units - model KG-UV6D V2.  It has stopped transmitting audio from the internal microphone.  It transmits a carrier signal just no audio. However, if I utilize an external microphone everything works fine.

Doing some research on line I have found that this is a fairly common issue and is easily corrected, I may have to wind up getting this repaired locally, I have not made that decision yet.

The unit is only about 8 weeks old, I am going to see what, if any response I get from Wouxun before I do anything else.

I will keep you posted !

Jeremy,

My radio is the A model I specifically waited until it was available before making the purchase,my dealer luckily owns a radio service and has over 30 yrs in the field and a club member.I have know him since I was a young fellow which was long ago.He has swapped the radio out once for me due to the poor soldering jobs in the first radio and has swapped the control head in the second.

He along with his assistant have the same problem with their A model radios and they are at wits end with Wouxun and their warranty service and said he will not stock anymore of those radios for the simple fact they are not reliable,can't say I blame him since he has invested over $10,000 in getting the Wouxun mobiles  imported then to have the problems like I have just doesn't cut it.

You would think a dealer would be taken into consideration more than a individual when making such a purchase as he does and provide replacement and warranty service but I guess to them we are just a bunch of dumb Americans who will buy their cheap equipment and when it fails buy more,not me I will buy a Kenwood next time.Once you are bitten it is time to remedy that situation and move on to better things and chalk it up to lesson learned...William

I started a new thread - I did not want to hijack the previous thread - I copied and pasted the reply to my question.

William  - it seems as if I am going to have the same problem - at least your dealer is involved - I was told that my dealer is on vacation and given the wouxun e-mail address and told to contact them.

I have e-mailed them and so far have not received a response - I will continue to try and contact them and see what happens.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dan

Dan,I edited your post on the other thread and deleted mine since you moved it over here and left you other comments before warranty issues intact...William

I totally agree. After owning my Yaesu FT-8900R and a Yaesu VX-7R, I can say there is a HUGE difference in quality.

As a side note: I am returning the VX-7R due to muffled audio caused by the waterproof membrane over the mic. I can be a QT (quiet talker) sometimes and this caused difficulty in hearing my Tx by some. I have ordered an ICOM IC-80AD which should be here tomorrow.

Wow, so sad. Sorry you are having the issues that you are. All I can say is maybe get a refund if they don't work out (directly from Wouxun, unlikely but good luck). You could always try to get your money back and buy fewer of another brand.

You aren't technically supposed to use part 90 on 95, many people do though and not much is said, but if someone raised a complaint and you were investigated then fines may be incurred from the FCC (Wouxun is part 90, not 95).

Now that the formality/disclaimer is out of the way (as you know I use a couple Wouxun for different applications), look up any part 90 certified radios and provided they can Tx on 460-470 you are in business. I think Kenwood makes some, Motorola, Uniden, and you might be able to find a couple Ritron floating around.

Used is sometimes better than new, especially in the case of a used from the big 3 and a new chinese unit.

Dan,

Stay on their case about your problem.I received the parts from Wouxun today in the mail from the China office after 3 months of  aggravation but I have half a new radio,what was supposed to be a PCB is now a radio bottom new fan and T-plug.I think all I will have to do now is remove the top and plug in a few connections and it should be good to go but I would bet the control head is still the problem but I am tired or arguing with them...William

Wouxun response tonight via e-mail :

Dear Daniel,

Nice day,

We have  forwarded  the problem to our technician .If have any updated ,we will inform you ASAP. 

Sincerely,

NaNa

for Danny Chan

Watch your email one time his name will be Danny Chan next time it will be  Danny Chen...William

Very disappointed in Wouxun - no response whatsoever - I will try and follow up with them - but I know I will not buying any more Wouxun's that's for sure. They might as well advertise a 10 year warranty - same difference if they are just going to ignore it.

I can say that I have not had any issues with mine but all of this talk makes me worried. After owning a Yaesu and now an ICOM, I can say there is a noticeable difference in build quality. I must apologize for speaking so highly of Wouxun in the beginning, had I known the type of build quality I was working with versus the build quality of the other competing radio companies I would have never recommended these units. I am right there with you Dan, I will not be buying any more of these units either.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted ti let everyone know after all the problems I faced with Wouxun I finally have a radio that is working now.The company sent me half a radio excluding the speaker top.I traded with the local dealer for a new control head since nothing was wrong with the transmitter section,as it turned out the dealer gave me a new control head and microphone since the DTMF section wasn't working properly.

Well long story short it wouldn't transmit so we swapped mics again and nothing,we them swapped control heads and the problem disappeared.I have spent more money in gas running back and forth to the dealer not counting the aggravation and dealer's time spent trying to resolve the problem but as of now it works after having pieces of 3 different radios combined into one.You know this makes for a difficult task swapping and shipping back and forth for months but maybe just maybe this is the last time things will go wrong with my radio...William

• 4 months later...

Ok - so it has been since September that I have been having problems with 2 of the four 6d hand held units. 

First - the selling dealer was useless even though I had spent several thousand dollars with him buying these and other radios in one large purchase. His response was oh well - contact Wouxun, here is their e-mail.

Second - many, many e-mails later Wouxun makes arrangements with a dealer in NJ to service the 2 bad radios.  The dealer is able to repair one - a minior issue with the jack where the accessories are plugged in. A second hand held unit developed a memory problem and Wouxun agreed to replace it.  I was notified today that Fedex has the replacement radio and will deliver to my home tommorrow. Well, actually later today.

It has only taken five months to get this situation corrected. 

Just wanted to update everyone on the situation.

Dan

edited because my computer cannot spell correctly late at night :-)

• 2 years later...

Motorola Depot service on my XPR7550 was 8 days from the day I dropped it at FedEx till the day I had it back in my hand. A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. If Wouxun continues down this path it will be the death of the company.

Not just Wouxun. Many of the Chinese companies are like that, even Hytera. Took nearly two weeks for a loca, Hytera dealer to get support for Tier 3 trunking (on a Simoco Tier 3 system). To set up he sysem, Simoco flew an engineer out for technician training. Of course it doesn't help any that Hytera got rid of most of their US support.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk