New GMRS User in Central Maine

Demiurge

Having a repeater in Lincoln / Lee area should encourage a lot more people to join the GMRS wave - especially the off-road crowd.

Thanks for taking the lead on that project. Keep us updated on your progress.

WQYC747 / Steve / Androscoggin County

P.S. Any Preppers Out There? Let's Network!

16 hours ago, SQUIRE said:

Hello across the board, I am in the third year of building off-grid camp and have a pretty good spot for a repeater. Also have 100' tower not erected at this time. Location is Lincoln / Lee  also have a neighbor interested in setting up / investing in this repeater not sure if others would like to get involved and share the load.

WRPK891

Squire, are you aware that we are not allowed to use GMRS channels 19 and 21 to the north or east of Line A? See attached document and this FCC website: 

https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/frequency-coordination-canada-below

Line A in Maine.pdf

On 4/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, SDK said:

Having a repeater in Lincoln / Lee area should encourage a lot more people to join the GMRS wave - especially the off-road crowd.

Thanks for taking the lead on that project. Keep us updated on your progress.

WQYC747 / Steve / Androscoggin County

P.S. Any Preppers Out There? Let's Network!

Thanks for the "Heads-up" there SDK I Was not clear on the actual lines. So I'm thinking that only the two Ch/Freq limiting us at this location should not be a big loss to us. If you have anything else to share please do. I'm having internet & cell service issues as usual so might not be able to respond at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to GMRS (finally), and have mobile and portable communications as of right now. Hoping to have a base set up before the end of summer. I have a UHF base antenna. I just need to get the coax and radio and get my antennas mounted permanently.  I currently monitor all 8 GMRS channels on my scanner at home in addition to some Ham radio repeaters local to me and simplex calling channels. I have the same ability when I am mobile. I try to stay prepared if anyone uses them for help. 

I have not noticed any active repeaters except for Woodstock, Belfast, and there is one other local to the Belfast area but I cant remember what the frequency is off the top of my head. 

WRQI583 - GMRS
N1YFA - HAM RADIO

I am new to GMRS (finally), and have mobile and portable communications as of right now. Hoping to have a base set up before the end of summer. I have a UHF base antenna. I just need to get the coax and radio and get my antennas mounted permanently.  I currently monitor all 8 GMRS channels on my scanner at home in addition to some Ham radio repeaters local to me and simplex calling channels. I have the same ability when I am mobile. I try to stay prepared if anyone uses them for help. 

I have not noticed any active repeaters except for Woodstock, Belfast, and there is one other local to the Belfast area but I cant remember what the frequency is off the top of my head. 

WRQI583 - GMRS
N1YFA - HAM RADIO

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, SDK said:

It seems like there are new and stronger repeaters going up every week lately

After I posted this, I noticed the same thing - repeaters going up everywhere. Its a good thing though and I really appreciate the hard work of those that are doing so. I actually just ordered my radio for the house just before I hopped on here. The antenna and coax is up and ready to go. Thats a really nice way of keeping track of the repeaters. I sort of did the same thing using google maps documents. I have a ways to go as far as working on it. Been pretty busy lately.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, DEE207 said:

WRTJ790? WQYC747 / KC1LGL / Steve here in Mechanic Falls.The best repeater around is the Spruce 675 on Spruce Mountain in Woodstock owned by Jeffrey Hartford with help from David Libby. Attached is my latest list of Maine (and relevant New Hampshire) GMRS repeaters, most with propagation maps. I have talked with my sister in Benton, Maine from Mechanic Falls on the Spruce 675 She is 58.1 miles from Spruce Mountain. I have also attached lists of active GMRS licenses in Maine by Call Sign and by Name. Have you joined the Maine GMRS Facebook Group? That's a relatively small group right now with just 112 members. I think a GMRS meet-up would be a great idea.

338538504_ActiveGMRSRepeatersInMaine-2022-08-10.pdf 2022-08-16 - Active Maine GMRS Licenses by Call Sign.pdf 2022-08-16 - Active Maine GMRS Licenses by Name.xlsx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, WRQI583 said:

WRQI583 - GMRS
N1YFA - HAM RADIO

Frankfort

10 hours ago, WRXX938 said:

Frankfort

I had to laugh when I looked at this. I didn't realize it has been that long since I got my GMRS license. Back then, GMRS when it came to repeaters, was in its infancy. Many more have come online, many are linked, and from what I have heard, there are still more planned. 

The repeaters I can get into effectively are Unity (3,032 feet) and Woodstock (65 miles). Frankfort works 75% of the time. From what I have noticed, I can get into it fine but I cant hear it all the time. It depends on how the wind is blowing. I can attest to Frankfort not working at all for portable radios if you are in Belfast. I tested it this past Saturday and the best I got was scratchiness so bad, you couldn't make out words. I switched back to simplex and everything was fine. Outside of that, all the other repeaters are on the other side of many of the hills from me or just simply too far away. My location is in a hole in the northwest part of Waldo county with everything to my WSW to NW being wide open for radio signals. 

20 hours ago, WRXX938 said:

Late to the party but FYI I can hit the Camden repeater with a 8w HT and a rubber duck 28 miles away. Vinalhaven is about 17 miles away wide open clear. You won't have an issue.

You must be on a hill. That Camden repeater doesnt work well to the north from what I have noticed. Either way, from your location, that is amazing. I know Camden does awesome for the Islands and coastline down there. I have used it portable in the car all along rt 17 from Union to Rockland on about 3 watts and a rubberduck