Coax connections

Guest David Frat

Guest David Frat

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is the coax line for antenna the same for CB as it is for GMRS? I have a vehicle already set up for CB but am about to make the jump. Will I need to run a new line to antenna or is the old one sufficient

Sufficient for what? If you are connecting to a local repeater across flat terrain you can probably get by with your current cabling. But, if your current cable is long, or of poor quality and your signal needs will be borderline, you should upgrade the cable. Connectors are harder, since most radios will have the same UHF connector as your CB.

Personally, I’d try it with what’s in place, with a new antenna of course. But, do check the SWR first just to be sure you are safe.

When you pull the antenna off, hopefully it was an NMO mount. Then swap the antenna double check  the connectors on the mount and the antenna as well as the coax out of the mount. Correct any corrosion and potential issues.

There are a lot of losses associated with VHF set ups. Any issues with the cable or mounts will cause problems such as degraded reception and transmission.

One thing that was never mentioned is where is the current antenna mounted?