off grid site (moved)

JohnE

12 foot chain link with razor wire is always good.... ;)

I vote for electrification, too! 50 kV, no less! John can install a few solar panels to provide power and make the project more interesting. :D

By the way, John, wouldn't it be even better to bury the line as it runs between the foot of the tree and your shack, or would that be overkill in this particular situation? I don't know what sort of cable run you've got, in terms of actual physical distance, between the tree and the shack. And I guess that this is all happening on your own private property, but I think that we probably all know how destructive kids can sometimes be. Some of them might find the sight of that pipe running down the side of the tree to be of irresistible interest, if you know what I mean.

Around my area burying hardline or coax is not a good idea because the frost line in this area is at just about 6-1/2 feet. Unless the cable is inside 1-3/4 inch conduit there will be expanding and contracting of frozen ground in November and in March and cable for communications gets cut up, so it is just not run underground here.  In John's area, I don't believe that the frost line is as deep as it is here, but still exists.  I have heard that running even the best transmission line inside thick wall electrical conduit can create some really wild SWR's.... Never had that experience personally, but it may affect the inductance component of the cable and result in an impedance change.

• 3 months later...

We have between 270 and 310 days of sunshine each year here in Albuquerque. The research I've done shows this to be an excellent area as we rarely have more than a week of snow each year. 

In a related area (converting a 1973 Toyota Hilux to all electric drive) I've found Optima batteries to be without equal. Yes their Yellow Top  deep cycle batteries are pricy.  I have one used as SLI on my 1985 Jaguar 5.7L. It spins the starter better than anything else I've seen. 

www.optimabatteries.com

We have between 270 and 310 days of sunshine each year here in Albuquerque. The research I've done shows this to be an excellent area as we rarely have more than a week of snow each year. 

In a related area (converting a 1973 Toyota Hilux to all electric drive) I've found Optima batteries to be without equal. Yes their Yellow Top  deep cycle batteries are pricy.  I have one used as SLI on my 1985 Jaguar 5.7L. It spins the starter better than anything else I've seen. 

www.optimabatteries.com

I've been trying to rack down a diesel Hilux state side for years for a ranch pickup...near impossible to find without spending a bunch of cash. 

I ran an optima Yellow top in my XJ...only battery I've ever had that outlasted the warranty. After 8 years sub-zero temperatures, excess vibration, extreme heat (never getting cooler than 100 degrees for several weeks straight) it finally gave out. Currently trying Autozone's AGM in place.

• 8 months later...

it's been a while so here is what has gone on in the last yr.

I decided to pull the 1K feet of electric to it as the experimentation w/solar failed miserably over the summer. the winter will only make it worse.

there are now 3 legs of #6 going from my main panel to a sub panel in the shed. I have 2 circuits w/one duplex outlet each.

I am in the process of insulating it for the winter so as to keep it relatively warm or a least above freezing. I figure a 100W bulb should do the job.

pics to follow

on technical note my current draw w/battery chargers and transmitter on is under 3A AC w/voltage drop of only 1V