#41 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Locationthe Empire State

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

antenna is in, shack was delivered today. the antenna is fatter and lighter that I thought it would be but I think I can put the 7/8 right in to it w/o any problems.

on a sad note the gentleman who was going to help and teach me to climb the tree properly lost his wife today. we had just seen them on Thursday to discuss the game plan for doing this project. it was like getting hit in the head w/bat.

I may have to make other arrangements.

Powered by Kenwood, Motorola, EF Johnson,Cresend  Milcom and Henry

#42 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

John - very sad to hear of the loss... Praying for the family at this time of sadness and grieving.

#43 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

thanks PG

#44 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

shack_zpsb9e988a0.jpg

• Logan5 likes this

#45 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

weather wasn't too cooperative this week but I managed to get a few things done.

layed out where and how I want things to sit, bolted the rack to the floor, put the antenna, pipe and mounts together. checked the length of the cable I have (29M,95'). I also had the shed co move the unit from the bottom of my driveway to the top where it was suppose to be put in the first place. still waiting on some grounding equipment so I haven't punched the hole for the feed through yet.

DSCN0041_zpseb25a8b0.jpg

DSCN0042_zps2a87ecf6.jpg

DSCN0044_zpsdac3af44.jpg

#46 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

antenna was mounted into the tree yesterday. man what a job, took 8hrs to trim top and mount , pull and secure the cable. will post what pics I have later. I was pretty on about the height measured from base to the bottom hole for the mount was 74' , +10 for the pipe and the antenna is 78" over that.

• Logan5 likes this

#47 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

I didn't get too many pics of the process. the gentleman who did the climbing did all the work  from trimming to the mounting of the antenna. I found it very difficult not being the one up in the air doing the work. it is also the first time I have ever hoisted an antenna whole w/cable attached to it.

on a side note I was amazed at how little the tree moved compared to a tower.

anyway pics

DSCN0046_zpsb5f5e85c.jpg

chinese finger to hoist the cable

DSCN0047_zps897aaae5.jpg

ground bar and poly-phaser

DSCN0050_zps2bdbfa05.jpg

all put together before the hoist

DSCN0051_zpsd3ea7288.jpg

cable stretched out

DSCN0048_zps5c4642aa.jpg

top chopped

DSCN0049_zpsfb5a1bf8.jpg

debris

I used a test channel at 100W to check the SWR reflected power was 0.8W. I expect pretty good coverage out of this. will do further field testing w/genset and the repeater over the next couple of weeks.

• Logan5 likes this

#48 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask Me
  • Ham Callsign:Ask Me

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

You are a mad scientist, in a good way.  Great Job so far!   That shed should give you a nice surface and angle to mount the solar panels. 

• Logan5 likes this

#49 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

I've been thinking about an off grid repeater. Probably going to use a HT1000 (COR isn't hard to pull off of one) as the receiver and a mobile turned down somewhere between 10-20Which for the transmitter. Probably use an MSP430 as a controller. If I can get the site I want...should be a nice little setup.

Basically the same setup for a portable repeater I've been working on...just designed to be self sustaining.

#50 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

some additions

DSCN0062_zps90b743f2.jpg

DSCN0061_zps21d770f5.jpg

DSCN0057_zpsda67897f.jpg

port entry, ground rod and ground buss

DSCN0055_zps4b24358a.jpg

batteries wired and charging

DSCN0063_zps5dff42a9.jpg

hard line protected from anything that may crush it. still need to be secured a little better though.

still need some minor hardware and items to secure the shack better.

• WQEJ577, Logan5 and Billy like this

#51 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

12 foot chain link with razor wire is always good.... ;)

#52 FrankNY

FrankNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPP614

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

12 foot chain link with razor wire is always good.... ;)

I vote for electrification, too! 50 kV, no less! John can install a few solar panels to provide power and make the project more interesting. :D

By the way, John, wouldn't it be even better to bury the line as it runs between the foot of the tree and your shack, or would that be overkill in this particular situation? I don't know what sort of cable run you've got, in terms of actual physical distance, between the tree and the shack. And I guess that this is all happening on your own private property, but I think that we probably all know how destructive kids can sometimes be. Some of them might find the sight of that pipe running down the side of the tree to be of irresistible interest, if you know what I mean.

#53 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Around my area burying hardline or coax is not a good idea because the frost line in this area is at just about 6-1/2 feet. Unless the cable is inside 1-3/4 inch conduit there will be expanding and contracting of frozen ground in November and in March and cable for communications gets cut up, so it is just not run underground here.  In John's area, I don't believe that the frost line is as deep as it is here, but still exists.  I have heard that running even the best transmission line inside thick wall electrical conduit can create some really wild SWR's.... Never had that experience personally, but it may affect the inductance component of the cable and result in an impedance change.

#54 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

that's the reason its in PVC