GMRS SamCom FPCN30A + Repeater for use in Colorado Rockies

Roger124

Question

I am REALLY new to the GMRS world and I would really appreciate some advice on the following questions:

1)  My radios (SamCom FPCN30A) are programmable, so how do I program it so I can use a repeater in Warrenton, VA to talk to my son in Catlett, VA?  Is it as simple as programming both radios to receive and transmit on the repeater frequency and tone?  I am registered and I do have a GMRS license - call sign WRHT605.

2)  In October I will be camping in the Colorado Rockies - camp site at 9,000 ft.  There will be several of us camping, and we will be spread across several miles.  There is a mountain high enough to give us all a line of site.  Could I park a truck with a repeater on that mountain and thus provide a capability for all of us to communicate?  Would the Retevis RT97 with a j-pole antenna do the job?

Thanks for ANY advice anyone can provide.

Cordially,

WRHT605

6 answers to this question

I am REALLY new to the GMRS world and I would really appreciate some advice on the following questions:

1)  My radios (SamCom FPCN30A) are programmable, so how do I program it so I can use a repeater in Warrenton, VA to talk to my son in Catlett, VA?  Is it as simple as programming both radios to receive and transmit on the repeater frequency and tone?  I am registered and I do have a GMRS license - call sign WRHT605.

I can not answer this one I am too new and dont have a lot of knowledge.

2)  In October I will be camping in the Colorado Rockies - camp site at 9,000 ft.  There will be several of us camping, and we will be spread across several miles.  There is a mountain high enough to give us all a line of site.  Could I park a truck with a repeater on that mountain and thus provide a capability for all of us to communicate?  Would the Retevis RT97 with a j-pole antenna do the job?

October is a hard time to camp due to cold and snow you may not be able to get your truck to the peak. Our snow pack is still good and today we got some more snow. What peak are you going to be on? I know when I am in the on peaks my handhelds work just fine for about 3 to 5 miles with out a repeater. My handhelds are Cobra CXT1095 FLT.

Thanks for ANY advice anyone can provide.

Cordially,

WRHT605

1) ... Is it as simple as programming both radios to receive and transmit on the repeater frequency and tone?

2) ... Could I park a truck with a repeater on that mountain and thus provide a capability for all of us to communicate? Would the Retevis RT97 with a j-pole antenna do the job?

1) Yes. It is that simple. just make sure you set the transmit frequency 5 MHz above the receive frequency. Also, initially you may not want to set tone on receive. That way you can hear everything on channel.

2) A repeater sounds like a good solution to your needs. Based on the advertised specifications, the Retevis might be a good candidate. However, I have no personal experience with the radio. As for the antenna, I would want to keep it as simple as possible. If you really are all line of sight to the repeater you will likely get by with a simple quarter wave. Also if the repeater is substantially higher in elevation then the stations that are accessing it, a gain antenna like the J pole might not be a good idea, since they reduce the amount of energy radiated downwards. In this case, the quarter wave would be ideal.

Finally, the SamCom does seem to be certified for part 95. The grantee code is 2AIOQ

I'm betting the Retevis with a J-pole will do the job, but you'll want something like a solar charger to avoid killing your car battery.

re: SamCom, they sell them as GMRS certified, but I have my doubtThanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll be connecting it to a Goal Zero 500X w/100W Goal Zero Suitcase solar charger.

1) Yes. It is that simple. just make sure you set the transmit frequency 5 MHz above the receive frequency. Also, initially you may not want to set tone on receive. That way you can hear everything on channel.

2) A repeater sounds like a good solution to your needs. Based on the advertised specifications, the Retevis might be a good candidate. However, I have no personal experience with the radio. As for the antenna, I would want to keep it as simple as possible. If you really are all line of sight to the repeater you will likely get by with a simple quarter wave. Also if the repeater is substantially higher in elevation then the stations that are accessing it, a gain antenna like the J pole might not be a good idea, since they reduce the amount of energy radiated downwards. In this case, the quarter wave would be ideal.

Finally, the SamCom does seem to be certified for part 95. The grantee code is 2AIOQ

Thanks for the feedback.  The location is not substantially higher - it's actually about the same altitude - just in a location that allows line of sight to all.  Our camp is in a valley at about 8,000 ft - no line of sight to anyone other than those in the valley.

Thanks for the feedback.  The location is not substantially higher - it's actually about the same altitude - just in a location that allows line of sight to all.  Our camp is in a valley at about 8,000 ft - no line of sight to anyone other than those in the valley.

Then I'd keep it as simple as possible and go with the quarter-wave.  Just make sure you give it a ground plane.  Though, based on your description, even a mag mount quarter-wave on the truck roof should be fine.