Morse ID Transmission

Billy

Are you talking about ID'ing on your regular station or something like a repeater?

You have to identify at the end of each communication or series of communications.  That means the end of a contact/conversation, but it does not mean you have to ID every time you are unkeying the mic.  During longer contacts you have to ID at least every 15 minutes and at the end of the contact.

How you ID, whether in English or Morse code, doesn't change the interval.

In the GMRS, a repeater does not have to ID as long as the stations using the repeater ID themselves properly.

You are not required to use PL(CTCSS) when identifying.  It is not uncommon for stations like repeaters to ID without buzz so that mobile stations don't have to hear it.

See §95.119.

• 1 month later...

My club has two repeaters up.  The newest one is on my call sign.  Both repeaters are IDing every 15 mins during conversations and on the hour when not in use.  We do it with the PL stripped on the output so the users can hear it.  It wipes out an operator when it IDs. We also believe it can be a kind of beacon for travelers who are nearing the area.  It lets them know they are close enough to start using it.  Just one idea. 

Jerry

It has been my observation in the past that when a Morse ID is transmitted with the repeater owner's callsign, that ANY questionable or unlawful usage of the repeater by either authorized OR unauthorized users, will be the liability responsibility of the repeater owner, since that ID may be the only one available to the Commission while monitoring for improper conduct.

In order to keep a low profile and not be the target of a Commission inquiry, do not use automatic ID BUT require that ALL users follow regulation - 95.119(a)(1) and (2) regarding THEIR responsibility to properly ID THEIR communications.  There are no regulations REQUIRING Morse ID of the repeater owner's callsign.

I would not recommend using a repeater ID if anyone beyond you and your kin are using the repeater. As I stated earlier, mine ID's, but only a couple people who my license covers use it. 

It certainly points the finger at you if someone is doing something wrong. Let the operators ID themselves, and if you need a "beacon" (which is probably discouraged, but I it know why you would use, as I have too) use a controller with a voice announcment, or setup a control station with one. I have the ability to use EchoStation if I need to .

• 1 month later...

Question for those who's stations don't transmit PL while IDing…

What controller are you using? I've got several R100's, GR300's and Micors that I was wanting to setup in such a manner for personal uses but haven't found a controller that will run them like that yet.

• 1 year later...

There has been an issues with repeaters that automatically ID.  There have been situations where NOVs were issued for violation of this rule:

95.7  Channel sharing.(a) Channels or channel pairs are available to GMRS systems only on a sharedbasis and will not be assigned for the exclusive use of any licensee.  Allstation operators and GMRS system licensees must cooperate in the selectionand use of channels to reduce interference and to make the most effective useof the facilities.

A term: "channel camping" was created to refer to those who would send an ID automatically.  Supposedly, this would deprive other users use of the frequency.  Since an ID is not required, it could constitute a way to show "ownership" of a frequency.

Just putting that out there.... No worries here either way.

Public safety repeaters are the only ones I ever worked with that ID'd 24/7. Most commercial setups, and even my own GMRS ID was/is based on use. So in other words, if you don't key the repeater for a period of time....3 hours, 3 days...3 weeks....it never ID's. If you key it up, it ID's after receiver drop, and again if use continues beyond 15 minutes. Setting up for continuous ID is a waste of air time. And I just realized how old this post was.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I am debating on ID'ing the repeater, I have a Vertex VXR7000, I would like it to ID every 15 minutes when in use under our PL but not for others using other PL's.

I take it those settings will be dependent on the repeater and how the software works?

To someone listening CSQ, an ID is an ID regardless of PL.

If your ID is sent with PL, then people using a different PL wouldn't hear the use (unless RX is set to monitor).

If the system ID's without a PL those using any RX PL will never hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a repeater IDs in CSQ, is it a lot less annoying to listen to. My neighbor's system identifies CW on his PL every 15 minutes regardless of usage (we are just two of maybe 3 or 4 people who ever use it). He calls on the air a few times a day. My repeater was never set to ID (I didn't have the capability until recently) when it was on the air. Contemplating turning it on when I move (not sure if my new controller will let me do it without the PL enabled), but this controller uses voice ID which is cooler anyway, at least to me as a recently licensed ham.

If a repeater IDs in CSQ, is it a lot less annoying to listen to. My neighbor's system identifies CW on his PL every 15 minutes regardless of usage (we are just two of maybe 3 or 4 people who ever use it). He calls on the air a few times a day. My repeater was never set to ID (I didn't have the capability until recently) when it was on the air. Contemplating turning it on when I move (not sure if my new controller will let me do it without the PL enabled), but this controller uses voice ID which is cooler anyway, at least to me as a recently licensed ham.

There is a local 2m repeater that has what we have dubbed "ID Maddness". It's a homebrew controller in a 100W Micor. ID's (in voice) every 10 minutes and then has a 5 minute TOT that also IDs at the end of an initial transmission. So if your feeling like playing some shenanigans, you get it to transmit "N5ZTL Repeater Lubbock, PL 88.5" every 5 minutes.

Of course it's one of the best performing repeaters in the area...and never gets used to UHF being the popular band.