Splitting Antenna Between Two Devices

enidpd804

Question

I put up a 1410 Discone at 27' and ran some good 400 cable for my scanner.  For giggles, I bought an adapter and plugged my Wouxun KG805G to it and was really impressed with how well it worked.  In case this is as dumb of a question as I'm certain it is:  I've done some research but didn't come up with an answer I was confident with trying.  Is there a splitter I could use to do both without having to unscrew the plug every time?  Will that splitter cause me an unacceptable amount of loss?  

Thanks in advance.  

7 answers to this question

Technically, the answer is ‘Yes’ you can use two radios with a single antenna. Whether it is practical and cost-effective is a completely separate matter.

If the two radios operate on separate frequency bands, and the frequencies of concern are sufficiently separated, and you use a diplexer or duplexer of appropriate specifications then yes it is possible. A duplexer is what is used with repeaters that need to receive on one frequency and transmit on another simultaneously. A diplexer provides commonly for a splitting of frequencies (think low range and high range). In the later you may image a single wide-band or dual band antenna being split into say VHF and UHF frequency ranges and then connected to separate VHF and UHF radios. Splitting the band for dual Rx purposes is one thing. Being able to receive on one while transmitting on the the other is another matter. Different specifications are required to prevent one radio from adversely affecting the other. Research diplexer and duplexer on the net and you should get an education.

Putting a switch in that will route the antenna to the radio you want to use may be an appropriate and affordable option.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Thanks for that.  The switch is what I'm interested in.  Is this what I'm looking for?  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00478M6QC/?coliid=I2X42AY0VHMYVO&colid=3QNVIS6L5U9JQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

Depends. From what I've read from your post, it looks like you plan to use one or the other, not both at the same time. If this is true, then Yes, it will work for your application, though you may wish to set some form of reminder on the transmitter radio to confirm the radio is selected. This avoids open load which will fry the transmitter very quickly.

If however you plan to use both radios at the same time, this will not work. This switch only allows one or the other to operate at one time, and does not allow both to run simultaneously.

Thanks again for everything.  I got the switch in.  I bought two LMR 400 jumpers.  It's a little weird though. The switch seems a little mushy. 

When I switch from the scanner to the radio, the scanner still works; just not very well.  I'm guessing that's normal.  My concern is that the switch isn't working properly and keying up will damage my radio.  

If the scanner is continuing to work with it switched, I wouldn't use that switch with a transmitter.

Two types of switch, one shorts the unused port to ground, the other does not.  I would verify what I had and if it's not shorting the port for the scanner to ground you take the chance of overloading the receiver in the scanner and burning it out

Does anyone know if you can pass a dc current through a splitter/diplexer? For example Comet duplexer cf-4160n vhf/uhf

I use a lna with vox at the vhf antenna. I use a bias t to power it through the coax.

I've seen some commercial satellite splitters that say dc pass for amplifier but frequencies above 1000mhz and $$$...

please and thank you for any help,

wqzw301