Kenwood TK-3173 Set Up

TDM827

Question

I am researching commercial radios vs. the standard CCR offerings. After going deep down the rabbit hole I am leaning toward the Kenwood TK-3173 handheld, seems like a good quality radio others here use.

Searching through the forums I think I have a decent handle on what it takes to set up the TK-3173. So far it seems that in addition to the radio also needed is the programming softward ( Kenwood KPG-101D) and a good quality programing cable (from bluemax49er). If I am missing something I would appreciate if someone with this radio could let me know.

I also could not find any information about CTCSS and DCS codes in the online manual. Again, if anyone with experience with the TK-3173 could confirm that somewhere in the programming software there is the ability to set CTCSS and DCS codes for repeater use it would be appreciated.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I have 3173 and 3170. For the purpose of GMRS these two are identical, and both are programmed with KPG-101D. There is indeed an option to set CTCSS or DCS separatley for receive and transmit, so called "split tones". On the Zone/Channel screen these columns are called QT/DQT Dec (receiving tone) and QT/DQT Enc (transmitting tone). You can set tones here. Another option is to use OST feature (operator selected tone) where you can program 40 tone combinations, and program a button on the radio to invoke the OST menu. This option is in Menu -> Edit -> Optional Features -> Conventional.

I am researching commercial radios vs. the standard CCR offerings. After going deep down the rabbit hole I am leaning toward the Kenwood TK-3173 handheld, seems like a good quality radio others here use.

Searching through the forums I think I have a decent handle on what it takes to set up the TK-3173. So far it seems that in addition to the radio also needed is the programming softward ( Kenwood KPG-101D) and a good quality programing cable (from bluemax49er). If I am missing something I would appreciate if someone with this radio could let me know.

I also could not find any information about CTCSS and DCS codes in the online manual. Again, if anyone with experience with the TK-3173 could confirm that somewhere in the programming software there is the ability to set CTCSS and DCS codes for repeater use it would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could also look at a somewhat older Kenwood radio model. I have used the TK-370G-1. You can find these radios with a full numeric keypad fairly often. Following the instructions in the service manual, removing a diode I believe, and selecting the self programming option in the software the radio can be field programmed through the front panel. 

http://www.dannel.co.za/vertel/TK-270G-370G_5-Tone.pdf

Thank you axorlov and Lscott.

I remain very impressed with commercial Kenwood and Moto handhelds and was glad to hear they can be repurposed for private use.

Got a TK-3173, software and programming cable on the way. Still researching a12v battery eliminator pack, SMA external antenna and rapid vehicle charging kit.