How many people have damaged their HT from overheating when used at a moderate to high duty cycle transmit condition?
I tend to be careful of the small palm sized radios since the aluminum sub chassis doesn’t have enough mass and surface area for heat dissipation compared to older model radios which were significantly larger. At anything more than a very low duty cycle I can feel those tiny radios turning into great hand warmers really quick.
The typical manufacturers spec’s are a 5-5-90, 5 percent TX - 5 percent RX (with audio) - 90 percent standby (audio muted), when estimating battery pack operating time. I’m sure it also has something to do with the radio heating issue too.