TK-3180 Ham Band?

Lscott

I'm thinking about getting a used Kenwood TK-3180-K (450-520) radio to experiment with. How much luck has anybody had getting the radio to work down into the Ham 70cm band? If so how far and any issues with power or sensitivity? The KPG-89D software will allow the out of band entry after clicking the button in the popup warning window.

TK3170 also operates on Ham band. At least on upper portion of it, where repeaters are. I did not do any tests with any measurement equipment. Same thing with the software: it brings a pop-up saying that frequencies are out of range, but still allows to program them.

You may be better off getting a 400-470 split. Most of my portables are this split just so I can use them in the ham bands.

These seem to be rather rare to find, at least for the times I've looked. There was one on eBay a while back but I didn't want to pay the asking price. The TK-3180 with the 450 to 520 split I'm getting looks in very good condition and the seller wanted $55 which includes shipping, battery pack and a somewhat broken antenna, which I have aftermarket replacements. By the way there are a couple more he's selling listed.

I have the software installed with the "engineer's key" so I can bypass any passwords that might be on the radio.

TK3170 also operates on Ham band. At least on upper portion of it, where repeaters are. I did not do any tests with any measurement equipment. Same thing with the software: it brings a pop-up saying that frequencies are out of range, but still allows to program them.

Yup, I have my TK-3170's and TK-3173's programmed up with Ham simplex and repeater frequencies along with the GMRS stuff.