Laird 5db ground plane or Laird 5db no ground plane?

WRFV510

Question

I just bought a 2021 Silverado 2500HD and want to put my radio in it.  Instead of dropping the headliner im going to put a back Rack on it and put a Laird BB4505CR (requires ground plane) or a BB4505CNS (no ground plane). Both are 5db gain. If I used the BB4505CR that requires a ground plane. I would have to make a plate to put it on. If I remember it requires a 7" ground plane. Would 7" be best or if I made it 10" would that be better?  or I could just cut a 3/4" hole in the middle of the back rack and use a BB4505CNs no ground plane. 

3 answers to this question

Generally, a no ground plane antenna will work better then one requiring one and fabbing one.

A no ground plane antenna will work even better with some ground plane available.

I would do the 10". Make sure the rack has continutiy to the bed and cab. In which case make increase the available groundplane.

I would expect some radiation pattern biases due to proximity of other metal surfaces ie, cab, bed trunks and the bed.

Pretty much. Had some what the same problem with my burb. The sunroof slid so far back it limited some options.

So even a mag mount might work better then a permanent install. Some options on your truck. But even then everything is going to be a compromise of sorts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk