Setting up on a Frequency Pair

Billy

Question

I have a question.   How far should a repeaters be away from one another to share the same frequency pair.  This is assuming different PL's of course.   At what distance or proximity do they start interferring with one another.  My question is five miles enough, ten or greater?  This is all assuming basic LMR type cable and desktop type repeaters.  Thanks guys!

14 answers to this question

I am pretty sure you can locate 2 repeaters on same freq. as close as you wish as long as your CTCSS/PL tones are different, there may be minor interference especially if both are activated at the same time. some cross talk, and freq. transmitter competition, but most likely go unnoticed by the average operator/user. I am not sure if narrow band will help, as I am unsure of your repeater issue, I do know your repeater would need to be narrow band capable to use narrow band on your HT's.

My repeater is cabable of either Narrow or Wide.  All of my equipment can do either.  I was just curious as in my area all the pairs except .725 is being used by another repeater system.  I am going up on .725 but wondered for the future if it was better to go narrow in case someone did set on top of me.  On my repeater the ability to change PL's is there but once the frequency is set it more complicated. 

so your saying that in your local area that all but one pair is used by another repeater? or more than one other repeater? there are 8 pairs, if one repeater is using all 7 other pairs on a closed systems that does not leave much to share with GMRS users.I am sure I am misunderstanding you. I have two repeaters. one on 600 and 675. a local hotel is also operating on 600 on a different PL tone of course. they are transmitting at 50+ watts and I only have 25watts they are very close by and I am still able to use the freq. just a lil noise and cross talk.

I am saying that all but one pair are in use, some by two or more repeaters.  It is getting busy, much more so than a few years ago.  Part of the reason I think is the emergency side of things.  A few blackouts and hurricanes have people thinking about comms.  I have been approached by a few people looking to put their own small scale repeaters up as well.  Ham and GMRS licenses have been steadily on the rise lately in this area of Southern New York and Long Island. 

I mainly use my GMRS repeater for neighborhood use. non Ham class operators. I did not know b4 you reside in the Megalopolis, that complicates things quite a bit. It would make much more sense to get all your contacts at least technician class operators lic. and just use Ham. In your area you will have super congestion on GMRS and Ham will make much more sense. almost anyone can pass the technicians exam with minimal study. and it only cost 15 bucks. free on some special occasions.

Make sure you are on a different PL and go for it. I would, however, if at all possible, contact the other operator to let him know you are going on the air too. 

Licensees must share the air, so hopefully there is cooperation. If you are close, but not super close, you might consider a reciprocal agreement to share repeaters for coverage enhancement. 

Make sure you are on a different PL and go for it. I would, however, if at all possible, contact the other operator to let him know you are going on the air too. 

Licensees must share the air, so hopefully there is cooperation. If you are close, but not super close, you might consider a reciprocal agreement to share repeaters for coverage enhancement.

That is what I figured. I am going up on what appears to be a open pair, I have monitored, researched and nothing is listed. I was thinking in terms of the future so I do not get squashed out. That is why I asked about the Narrow/Wide option. Thanks for the response. Bill

Guest spd641

I will tell you from my experience using a repeater on the same frequency doesn't work out to well.I finally got disgusted and sold my repeater to the ones doing the interference,imagine being on the same frequency for years and have someone show up with the same pl tone and have the nerve to ask me to change mine,which I refused to do but I did sell it to them and lost no money on it and built me another this time with DPL so I have no issues on this frequency so far...William

I will tell you from my experience using a repeater on the same frequency doesn't work out to well.I finally got disgusted and sold my repeater to the ones doing the interference,imagine being on the same frequency for years and have someone show up with the same pl tone and have the nerve to ask me to change mine,which I refused to do but I did sell it to them and lost no money on it and built me another this time with DPL so I have no issues on this frequency so far...William

That is my concern. It was one of the reasons that I went with a unit that I can easily program and change PL's, it has a few options and can mix DPL and PL. We shall see, so far the channel is unoccupied. Bill

That is my concern. It was one of the reasons that I went with a unit that I can easily program and change PL's, it has a few options and can mix DPL and PL. We shall see, so far the channel is unoccupied. Bill

what is your repeater set up again? I would like to be able to mix PL and DPL's as well.