New. Need Help

Greetings,

My callsign is WRMX774. I am new here. I had a question about repeaters. I live on the eastern shore of Maryland, where there are few repeaters. I am concerned that I am too far from the nearest one in order to use it. Any suggestions? I just received my license this week. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

WRMX774

Well, this is a question that has quite a few variables.

1) What radios do you have, or have you ordered? Hand held (HT) or mobile radio in your car/home.

2) Exactly where and what elevation you are at make a huge difference on performance and ability to reach repeaters.

As for recommendations, a proper install with the best antenna you can afford at the highest elevation you can get will result in the best performance.

First off welcome and congrats.

This is going by the p.o. box listed on the fcc uls database.

The one in Pittsville/Willard (about 50 miles) is noted as local use. Until it is mounted to a higher up. You are fortunate the eastern shore is flat. With some elevation ( on a tower) and a high gain antenna when it is mounted to a tower, you may be able to hit it.

Annapolis one is about 36.32. Depending on the height of the two repeaters antennas. Probably your best bet (since the open water doesn't block transmissions). May also get some local trophosperic ducting across the water.

Just because it isn't listed doesn't mean there aren't any repeaters close by. So spend some time listening to the repeater channels.

Use the forum map to tryvand contact the owners of the repeaters. They may be able to give you an idea of height of their antennas and expected coverage.

Otherwise, 2 options.
1.) You are limited to local coms unless you get a ham ticket, bit more ham repeaters not huge amount.

2.) Time to start saving up and learning how to build your own repeater.

Also, a yagi up at least 30 feet pointed to the repeaters maybe able to hit it. But generally, you will have to mod and tune an amateur one for gmrs.

What do you have or plan on getting?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Step-1.  First go to the myGMRS repeater page here.  Filter for repeaters in your state/city/area.  Note the repeaters range, antenna height, and PL tones, if posted.

Step-2.  Then go to the RF Line Of Site calculation page (scroll down).  Adjust the pointer pins, one on your location, the other on the repeaters location (find this by using map in step-1 above).  Adjust approximate height of both antennas (yours and the repeaters).

This will tell you if you should be able to hit a particular repeater, based on the repeaters range (found in step-1) by showing you the distance away from the repeater in question, and natural and some man-made obstructions that may be present.

With a good radio (15+ watts), a well tuned GMRS antenna with good height, and clear LOS (line-of-sight), you should be able to hit a repeater 20-50 miles away.

Let us know how you fare and good luck.

Are you mostly interested in the repeater for social reasons or to extend your range for necessary comms?  

If you are just interested in the social aspect of the repeater you may find that the internet would have some alternatives.  I have found most GMRS repeaters are pretty quiet.  Some ham repeaters are pretty busy but many are pretty quiet too.

Ham radio has many more repeaters so you would likely be able to reach one of them.  See repeaterbook.com for listings.   The repeaters are often operated by radio clubs.   You might want to check out joining one of these clubs.  Most clubs will allow you to join if you are making some kind of reasonable effort to get a license.  They will often have classes to help you get a license too.

Vince