Palomar, CA/Photo 4A repeater access, experience, etc.

daven

Hi guys,

I am curious as to whether anyone else has had any experience with trying to use this repeater. I recognize it shows up on "maps" as a "Private Group currently not accepting new members" but I was interested in seeing who was using it and listening in. I'd love to join the group especially with the range that it seems to have. A fellow member suggested that there was no harm in trying to "hit" it and I might just get asked to cease and desist if it was a problem.

However, while listening in, it seems for the last 4 hours to be mainly dominated by Spanish speaking folks who clearly have no idea on etiquette as they have pretty much been hogging the frequency without break, callsign, etc. I am going to take a guess that they may not be in the USA as it looks like the repeater range extends well into Mexico.

Does anyone have any insights on this repeater? I believe that I am set up correctly to access it with the right frequency and tone but I can't get a break to try and connect. I also accept that I may be in a bad area and may need to try from higher ground e.g. Mount Soledad which is nearby to where I live. I'd love to hear from others if they've used this, know what is going on.......... not trying to cause any upset just wondering if anyone else is monitoring what looks like quite a powerful repeater.

TIA of any feedback

The only Palomar GMRS repeater I know of is on 700 - it is also "private, for business use" and I have heard the owner get on several times and try to chase people away that were using it.. I have never heard any actual business use on it.

Up my way (just a bit north) .550 is used by MANY repeaters, and several often have non-english speakers so I wonder if that is what you are hearing?

11 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

The only Palomar GMRS repeater I know of is on 700 - it is also "private, for business use" and I have heard the owner get on several times and try to chase people away that were using it.. I have never heard any actual business use on it.

Up my way (just a bit north) .550 is used by MANY repeaters, and several often have non-english speakers so I wonder if that is what you are hearing?

The one I am referring to is on the myGMRS.com map (see screenshot below). I have a basic Spanish skillset and at no time do I hear any of the accepted protocols/etiquette being used.

Palomar.PNG

• 1 month later...