Kenwood Programming

lkckgkek4

Question

5 answers to this question

Each radio model series has its own specific software package. To recommend where to find it we first need to know what model radio.

The installation key typically has the form of xxK44… or xxxK44… where the “X’s” are the version of the software. For example the TK-3170 radios use KPG-101D and the install license key starts with 101K44…. with a string of numbers after the “101K44”. If you’re very lucky you might have the so-called “engineers key” which looks like “101K45….” for the above example.

The engineers key allows you to remove passwords on a radio. If the radio has a write data password set you’ll never be able to reprogram the radio unless you have it or can remove it. I’ve had a few radios purchased used like this. Fortunately I had the means to remove them.

You cannot use Chirp for programming an NX-1300.  You need to use the Kenwood KPG-D6NK  software, which should be a free download. However, you can't use the software  until you purchase a $100+ License Key which will be specific to a single PC. Once you have purchased the Key, you will need to Authenticate the software on the exact PC that you plan to use.

I have not yet used the Kenwood NX-1300 on GMRS, but I believe that the standard License will be Narrowband only. There's a process to go through in order to allow Wideband to be enabled. 

The NX-1300 is either Analog, Analog + DMR, or Analog + NXDN.  Make sure you've got the correct radio firmware for what you're trying to do. You can enable different Digital modes by purchasing a License and enabling the correct firmware.

Having a sample codeplug to work from should help you to figure out the Kenwood setup. It's a fairly simple frequency table setup for most of the Analog information. Digital becomes a bit more complicated. You will need to load any Voice Files into the radio before you can assign those to any channel locations or button functions.

Kenwood offers some training videos online through their Kenwood University online. Those are Dealer Training videos on the MyTools site. Not sure if there's any access available to anyone who is not a dealer, but I'd start by asking the place where you bought the software to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Radioguy7268 said:

You need to use the Kenwood KPG-D6NK  software, which should be a free download. However, you can't use the software  until you purchase a $100+ License Key which will be specific to a single PC. Once you have purchased the Key, you will need to Authenticate the software on the exact PC that you plan to use.

This is why I'll NEVER purchase one of the new Kenwood radios, new or used. They changed their business model to extract more money out of business customers. For private hobby use it makes no sense at all.

With a license key tied to a specific PC, effectively turning it in to a hardware dongle, if your hard disk dies so does your license. I forget if it was either Kenwood or Motorola, but they told people when your hardware dies or the license file gets screwed up you get to buy a new one.

What might make more sense is installing the software and license on a virtual machine. That way you can keep backup copies of the VM in case of a real hardware failure. Second you can load the VM on any PC that can host the VM environment effectively allowing you to run the software on multiple computers without the necessity of buying multiple licenses. So, for example, you can have the VM on your desktop computer and a laptop for when you travel and need to make last minute changes.

I had several computers running the exact same VM with Microsoft Windows a few years ago. Windows would start, update etc. with zero complaints about multiple copies running or pirated versions. If Microsoft isn't detecting the multiple versions running I doubt Kenwood's software will either.