Hello from the new guy - WQVA761

randykie

Hi Randy.  I'm looking for the same thing.  I'm building a repeater out of two Kenwood Tk-880 radios.   I'm at the point of building the cables and putting the antenna up on my roof.  How far along are you?

here's my build thread:  https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/333-building-a-repeater-out-of-two-kenwood-tk-880/?hl=tk-880

I'm in north jersey.  There are two GMRS repeater here in town and the owner gave me permission to use it.  It works really well.  Its on the local cell tower and it covers the entire town plus the towns around me with a very clean signal.  I still want to make my own but i'm thinking about how to make it portable, and solar powered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Randy, Steve and Everyone else! My call sign is WQTK702, my name is Stephen, Steve, I'm interested also in building a small, portable solar powered repeater. There are a few on the web/youtube that are very impressive. I have the container, 2 handhelds, a duplexer, a solar control unit and small panel. Currently waiting on the coax leads for the portables to the duplexer, and the repeater controller. Trying to figure out the wiring to wire up a small gel cell, the 2 radios on battery eliminators, the repeater controller and tie it all into the solar charger. Going to be challenging, but fun as well. Still need to order an antenna for the container and an so-239 chassis mount so I can also attach an external separate antenna to the system if I want. I'm also considering a regular duty repeater as there aren't many near me, I wonder how you would go about getting space on a cell tower? And how much that would cost?