Motorola Forum XPR Motorola XPR6350 Codeplug issues (model no. AAH55QDC9LA1AN)

Guest Kazzeki

Guest Kazzeki

Hello everyone, I am a complete newbies when it comes to radio programming, I recently found a bunch of XPR 6350's thrown into a dumpster (I work for a local big pharma that apparently got an upgrade on their radios).

Now I'm a las year CS student, and I know how to get around programming, but never DMRs... 

Since it is an UHF Model ( Model no. AAH55QDC9LA1AN) I got interested in reusing them for fmrs/gmrs (the latter with proper licensing of course) 

I went and bought a programming cable to reprogram the radios (from BlueMax49ers) and got a hold of the CPS, but upon trying to read the radios, I get a password prompt. 

Now for obvious reasons I cannot get the password. But I want to save these radios from the landfill. I read a new Codeplug from the same model could fix my situation. 

From what I understand, some of you may have such password-free Codeplug that I can use on my units, and from what I understand a Codeplug doesn't count towards commercial software, so I thought of asking for it here. 

I have looked on Google but no one seems to have posted such a file online.

I also searched through the sample Codeplugs, *but* the only xrp6350 Codeplug that the CPS provides in not compatible with my model, as the model number differs. 

I would appreciate any help with a Codeplug or any other way to reset the radios as to make them password-free again. 

I think this goes without saying but I have no need for the old Codeplug, I just want to program new frequencies into the radios.

One last thing, I do see there are services that seem to offer a way to unblock the radio from Motorola, but at $50 per radio, it's just not economically feasible for me at the moment. 

Here's the radio info once again case it's needed and with more details: 

NOTE: I have 2 variants on the version. 

S/T: PMUE2579AANAA

IC: 109U-89FT4876

MODEL: AAH55QDC9LA1AN

VER R01.05.00. FCC ID: AZ489FT4876 

And 

S/T: PMUE2579AANAA

IC 109U-89FT4876

VER: R01.05.10 FCC ID: AZ489FT4876

MODEL: AAH55QDC9LA1AN

You can reach our to me privately via kazzeki.dollars@gmail.com

First - if you have the CPS, there should be a file in there under "Samples"  which will have a basic codeplug that you can try to load.  Many radios will have a "read" codeplug passcode to prevent  you from pulling out the profile information, but they will allow you to write a new codeplug to overwrite the existing profile without needing a passcode.

Second - If you're handy, the First Generation XPR radios like the 6350 can be read while using Wireshark to sniff the passcode. There's a few videos out there showing details.  The passcode hack was fixed in a firmware update for later versions, but most of the original XPR6000 series  can be easily read.

Third - your "big pharma" employer should be shamed for tossing electronics out with the trash, instead of taking a responsible recycling route for their electronics e-waste.

Great advice given above. The XPR6xxx series radios are great for GMRS use. I use one myself, although mine requires a hex edit due to the frequency it came with to allow this. Mine is the low UHF1 split, and to get to the 462/467 MHz, you have to get more creative with software hex editing of the CPS. Getting frustrated on continually wanting to change things, and that hex edit mess.....I ended up getting a XPR7550e recently which covers the entire 403-512 MHz band. Stick with that XPR6350 though, great radios, and glad to see someone keep them from the landfill. My XPR6550 is now about twelve years old, and was re-cased a few years ago, as I used it in the oil industry (2010 Deepwater Horizon response), which destroys everything.

47 minutes ago, PACNWComms said:

Great advice given above. The XPR6xxx series radios are great for GMRS use. I use one myself, although mine requires a hex edit due to the frequency it came with to allow this. Mine is the low UHF1 split, and to get to the 462/467 MHz, you have to get more creative with software hex editing of the CPS. Getting frustrated on continually wanting to change things, and that hex edit mess.....I ended up getting a XPR7550e recently which covers the entire 403-512 MHz band. Stick with that XPR6350 though, great radios, and glad to see someone keep them from the landfill. My XPR6550 is now about twelve years old, and was re-cased a few years ago, as I used it in the oil industry (2010 Deepwater Horizon response), which destroys everything.

I got several of the VHF XPR-6550's and the low split UHF versions for Ham and GMRS. No hex editing required. When purchasing these off eBay i check the FCC ID to make sure which band split the radios really are first. Sometimes the seller doesn't know or spec's the wrong one in the description.

The thing that is inconvenient is the 16 channel per zone limitation and just one 16 channel scan zone. I had to reorganize how I programed the radios compared to everything else I have to avoid the 16 channel limit. 

I did discover one thing about the radios hardware wise. The SMA antennas are slightly different from what you commonly see. While my Kenwood antennas, reverse SMA like the Chinese radios, screw into the radios they don't work. Looking at the bottom of the screw connector the official Motorola ones the center pin is flush with the edge of the screw barrel. The Kenwood's are recessed a bit so the center female pin doesn't make contact with the male pin in the radio. I had to buy some Motorola specific antennas and checked the connector on the bottom in the photos to be sure they would work before paying.