USB charger vs battery eliminator

Guest ChrisN

Guest ChrisN
I ordered a GM30 radio from Radioddity yesterday.  I primarily need a scanner for GMRS channels in the area I patrol by vehicle and on foot.  I have been scanning on an old 22 channel FRS handheld for years, and I'm looking to quit buying so many batteries.  I chose the GM30 for its USB charging which I hope means I can keep the radio plugged in to my truck and running on charger power while I keep the radio on.  After I ordered, I learned/remembered about the 'battery eliminator' accessory that has a 12V plug and powers a handheld radio.  I understand an eliminator only works with various specific models.

Are these two sources of power equally suitable for operating the radio throughout the day/shift while it's powered by the vehicle?

Thanks for your help.

I have that radio for the same reason. I kept it velcroed to my dash before I bought a mobile.

It is nice to be able to leave the radio on after the truck is turned off.

Battery eliminator would have to be swapped out for a battery.

The only issue I had was USB C not being a solid connection.

Any pull on the cable and it is out.

Guest ChrisN

Thank you Sir.  I sent my question to Radioddity also and they said charging for too long while the radio's on would not be good for the battery.  Better to charge up and unplug.  Use the battery eliminator for operating in the truck.  

On 3/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, PartsMan said:

The only issue I had was USB C not being a solid connection.

I had this issue with my GM-30 handheld when I got it as well. However, I had bought the GM-30 handheld/DB-20G mobile combo online. My original intent was to use the DB-20G for home use (even though I had a Motorola CDM1550LS+ in use as well, I like the smaller size and easier programming), and the GM-30 for my smaller daily commute car. Well that USB cable fell out often. I then realized the DB-20G fit perfectly in a "pocket" in the console made for an iPhone. 

On a slightly different note, I had a friend that bought the GM-30 handheld, and spent about a week charging it with the USB cable, and complained that he could not program it properly. I found out he was trying to program it via USB as well. He also wondered why it came with two "programming" cables. His laptop also never found the "drivers" for that USB C cable either. He is on the right track now. 

On 3/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, Guest ChrisN said:

I sent my question to Radioddity also and they said charging for too long while the radio's on would not be good for the battery.

Good to know, and like many other radios, even much more expensive ones out there (Motorola, Thales, Harris have also had issues with this over the years.) Thank you for sharing for all of us.