Stud mount GMRS antenna?

WRQB993

Question

Hello, just got my GMRS license and am looking at getting a mobile setup (have a UV-9G). I have an aluminum F-150 so a mag mount is out. I use a Breedlove bed mount for my 3/8-24 2m  antenna. Can someone recommend a GMRS specific antenna with a stud mount, or should I just look for a generic 440 antenna? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

You'd be better off swapping the stud mount for a nmo mount. If your cable has a pl239 going to stud mount you can get a nmo that fits it. Otherwise you'll have to cut and splice an nmo onto the end or run a new cable. 

Then grab yourself this adapter so you can still use your current antenna. 

Tram TRAM1295 3/8-24 Antenna Adapter https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00YT6MGHG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_8KKMMH4WADCD88EJBM79

1 hour ago, FrostyFruits said:

You'd be better off swapping the stud mount for a nmo mount. If your cable has a pl239 going to stud mount you can get a nmo that fits it. Otherwise you'll have to cut and splice an nmo onto the end or run a new cable.

I've definitely been looking into NMO options. I found a 3/8" NMO on a youtube that *should* work. I also found the MFJ-1414, which is a 3/8-24 that can be trimmed for GMRS frequencies.