Newbie in La Crosse, WI

WRQT744

Just obtained my GMRS license yesterday. WRQT744. I'm excited to join the community and see what kind of toys I can play with. 

I come from the background of broadcast IT and engineering. Having been involved in the tech side for almost 4 years and overall 6 years in the business, I have got to play with a lot of cool big FM toys. But, that being my professional work, this GMRS stuff is going to be my hobby/for fun stuff. Because my mind is always on radio 24/7. 

What's funny is WRQT in my call sign, is the call letters of the rock radio station I started at in 2014 here in La Crosse. Easy enough for me to remember! :) 

I'm hoping to get my first radio ordered next week. Looking at a Beofeng UV-5G HT to start with and work my way up. Eventually i'm eyeing that Woukon KG1000-G for the vehicle. 

The wife calls me a nerd, I take that as a compliment. Anyone around in the MN/WI area? Hope to talk to some people soon. 

I am new also, WRQV359, in Madison, WI. Just got a UV-9G, but I have heard good things about the UV-5G. I wish you well and hope you have fun with it. I would not mind maybe coordinating with you at some point. My wife calls me a nerd to...and it is a compliment.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my gmrs license the other day. I picked up a Baofeng GT-5TP on a clearance through Amazon. Initially I got it because it was cheap and I thought I’d use it as a scanner. The GMRS aspect seemed a lot cooler but so far I haven’t heard anything on it!  I’m up river from LaCrosse in Alma. 

• 1 year later...

I just got my GMRS license a couple of weeks ago and started listening in my area (Blue River, WI) but can usually only hear HAM transmissions on my UV-5G. I ordered a Baofeng UV-9G GMRS today and will have it early next week. I hope to be able to transmit and maybe hit some local repeaters if there are any available. It was nice to read your stories and meet some fairly local people.