Tampa Repeater 575

WRQT818

I’m trying to utilize the Tampa Repeater 575. I’ve gotten permission and set up my radios. According to the coverage area map, I’m we’ll within range but can’t get through.  I’m using a UV-5G that is set up properly but I’m concerned that although I’m in range on the map, I’m too far away for a handheld at ground level.  Is trying to hit that repeater from New Port Richey from ground level a realistic expectation?  

I'm in Largo about 23 miles from the 575 and have no problem hitting it with my KG UV-9g . I do have to be outside to do it.

Have you tried to hit the TAMPA BAY 700 repeater which is a couple of blocks away from 575 , also in downtown Tampa?

I've added  a J-pole antenna on a 20 ft. mast so I can  hit the 575 from my workbench in the garage. I don't have any luck with the 700 repeater but you might see if you can hit that one , Bye the way, I also have a Baofeng BF-F8HP and it also can hit the 575 repeater, I did add a Nagoya 771G antenna to the Baofeng and it  seems to help.  Good luck and hope you find the right combination to hit the 575 

Hello, I'm in the exact same boat. I'm in NPR and can't hit either Repeater (575) or (700). I'm not sure if I have my radios setup correctly. I'm using the UV-5G.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS, I have a poor memory due to brain damage in Iraq.. Also very new to GMRS

575.jpg

Change Tone Mode to TONE. If the repeater is on the air and you can reach it you should hear the squelch tail from pressing and releasing the PTT on your radio. If you don't hear the squelch tail just monitor for any traffic and then ask for a radio check.