Programing Icom IC-F6011

Flameout

Question

I was given an Icom F6011 because it kept blowing fuses. turned out that someone had mickey moused the power cable. I fixed it and now it powers up nice an putting out about 42 watts.  The problem is, I have no idea how to program it (It certainly isn't as simple as my Icom 2730a)

Is this radio worth the trouble of a good programming cable? The guy on ebay (Mark) has this: FTDI USB Programming Cable Icom IC-F6011 IC-F6021 IC-F6022 + CS Cloning OPC-1122 but isn't that software really complicated to use?

It is the 400-470 MHz, 8 channel, so I imagine it would be good for GMRS. It does accept PL tones, right? I just want to find out as much as I can before buying another programing cable.

I downloaded cs-f3020_f5010_f5020_v3.4 but I see this cable comes with OPC-1122. Is that the software I could use to program?

20220630_162034.jpg

4 answers to this question

Programming cable from bluemax49s has USB-to-serial chip inside. If you want to save on cable, you need build serial cable and connect it to serial port on your PC.

And a quick search on the internet shows MAX232 IC to bring Icom signal levels to RS232, so you probably will not be saving anything, vs buying FTDI USB cable.

I did order a cable from bluemax49 on Ebay (will be here next Wed) but thought I'd take a shot at making a cable. I see there are lots of cheaper ones out there (that I guess don't use that chip) and see they are hit or miss as to them working. I figured the worst that would happen is that it doesn't work

I received my programing cable 2 days early and it works great. The programming software is a bit complicated though. Using the CS-F3020/F5010/F5020 I was able to read the radio. Sure are lots of setting for an 8 channel radio.  I imagine some of those setting are for other radios too, with more channels and LCD screens

Took a bit, but I was able to write all 8 channels with GMRS repeater info and all working. Radio puts out 4.6w/26w/44w. I still can't figure out how to set up scan all 8 channels (A and B ) with 1 button, if it's even possible. There seems to be lots this radio can do, but with no LCD screen, you'd need to carry a notepad/cheetsheet to remember everything.  I've already written to the radio about a dozen times, experimenting