Kenwood TK-880 microphone keypad

Flameout

Question

I have given up experimenting and have come crawling to the forums for help. What do I need to set in the software in order to get the keypad on the microphone to work?

I somehow have the *  key displaying MEMORY RCL and # key MEMORY STO. None of the other keys do anything

1 answer to this question

Based upon a download of the user manual, it sounds like you first need to have "Function" programmed (using programming software) into one of the front panel keys (see page six), and then THAT programmed button can be used to assign other functions to the microphone keypad. However, the manual doesn't really explain "how" this is done.

The service manual doesn't list "function" as a programmable choice. It just has

Keypad operation
This parameter selects the default use of the numerical field of the keypad. You can select from “DTMF”, “Selcall
entry”, “Status entry” and “OST”.
In the case of “OST”; Enter to use the keypad to recall OST directly. To recall OST memory 1 to 9, press the OST number directly for 1 second. To recall OST memory 10 to 16, press [*] for 1 second, then press [0] to [6].
Example; Recall OST memory 15 : [*] [5]
When OST memory is recalled by keypad [1] to [9], the “OST” display lights and OST is turned on. If the keypad [#] is pressed, OST is turned off, and the “OST” display goes off.