Thinking of having a traveling repeater

WRQY383

I figured that all they can do is say no, so I sent them a question if they had any discount codes. I ended up getting the rt97 delivered for $340!! I didn't get the two radios because; 1, I already have plenty, 2, I didn't think to.

I had been gaming the cart thinking that the radios were the reason for that crazy shipping, and I forgot to put them back on. Still happy with the cost. Oh and getting 5-7 days shipping.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, TNRonin said:

I had been gaming the cart thinking that the radios were the reason for that crazy shipping, and I forgot to put them back on. Still happy with the cost. Oh and getting 5-7 days shipping.

For the Summer Deal I think it's the batteries. I recently purchased something from a dealer that had notices that they could ship 1-radio&1-spare battery, OR 2-radios for the cheap rate; any combination with three batteries required them to either make multiple shipments or otherwise use a costly shipper.

I broke down -- really can't afford all this but... Went with the RA85 combo (I prefer having 30 available [once purged of Retevis defaults] channels that can be customized for specific repeaters over color display but only one channel per repeater frequency or the computer program only units)

That brings me up to five "proper" GMRS HTs, the mobile, and a flaky pair of repeater-capable (hence now GMRS) Motorola bubble-pack units (well, also a pair of >2W non-repeater Midland bubble pack). Should the scattered family ever get together that may be enough units to share.

For the Summer Deal I think it's the batteries. I recently purchased something from a dealer that had notices that they could ship 1-radio&1-spare battery, OR 2-radios for the cheap rate; any combination with three batteries required them to either make multiple shipments or otherwise use a costly shipper.

I broke down -- really can't afford all this but... Went with the RA85 combo (I prefer having 30 available [once purged of Retevis defaults] channels that can be customized for specific repeaters over color display but only one channel per repeater frequency or the computer program only units)
That brings me up to five "proper" GMRS HTs, the mobile, and a flaky pair of repeater-capable (hence now GMRS) Motorola bubble-pack units (well, also a pair of >2W non-repeater Midland bubble pack). Should the scattered family ever get together that may be enough units to share.
Nope. I tried several different methods. The most saved was about $15. Until they gave me the discount.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On 7/30/2022 at 9:00 PM, KAF6045 said:

Minor comment: it is General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS); GRMS is Global Risk Management Solutions ?

And in some areas, you may find REACT monitoring GMRS besides CB.

{addition} There are Amateur groups associated with Red Cross, ARES/RACES -- all associations that require the members to undergo certification and training to partake in... Skywarn is under NWS purview and has its own training sessions.

How many of your GMRS users are willing to consider these conditions:

ARES and RACES are Amateur only, CERT may not be, nor the local government EOC. But look at the second and third bullets! We aren't talking about a community watch program or holing up on the upper floors of a hotel and making reports on the movement of rioters... We are talking about actual field deployments -- bring a tent and a supply of MREs type activity. CERT requirements are based on local Civil Defense organization, RACES is an FCC Part 97 services. In all cases, activation comes from above... some government agency -- even SkyWarn is typically at the request of the NWS.

This isn't the purpose originally conceived of for GMRS -- which was intra-family communications in spread out areas (large farms, with a base at the house and mobiles/HTs for those working the fields; the rules used to have a clause that the "immediate family" had to RESIDE in the licensee's household -- that clause has been dropped) or in isolated locales (camping or just living out of normal communication means; no phone, maybe generator for electricity); and for small businesses (these are no longer issued but existing licenses can be renewed). Talking from one licensee to another licensee was a RARE situation (and base stations were prohibited from talking to other base stations)!

Well my next step which most likely be in the next few years if not longer I will go for my ham license. I have been a first responder over the years and know how to communicate on one unlike some of the people in my area on GRMS. Now just have to study and find the right radio for the job. 

23 hours ago, TNRonin said:

I figured that all they can do is say no, so I sent them a question if they had any discount codes. I ended up getting the rt97 delivered for $340!! I didn't get the two radios because; 1, I already have plenty, 2, I didn't think to.

I got about the same deal. $338 and it included the gmrs antenna and the coax. And it only took 4 days from ordering until it was at my door. I'm actually surprised at how well this little unit works

I would also recommend the Surecom Simplex Repeater.  It works very well and is a lot of fun because it records your transmission and then sends it.  So you get to listen to yourself.  A good training tool also for pausing after pressing the PTT before talking and pausing before releasing the PTT.  All for around $100.00!  

This thread is interesting to me.  I have been a sucker for the Q.R.P. craft ( low power 5 watts or less) for years. The most amazing prodject I was involved in was a 440 3.5 watts output repeater. Place on top of a very high hill. It reached 60 miles into the valley east with full quiting and could be tickled 60 miles west (rolling hills). The antenna was a diy vertical dipole design.

I got another GMRS license to build a Qrp repeater for family activities. It has been a 6 year off & on journey at a estimated cost of $1500.00 plus. Buying the Retevis rt97 could be lot easier and cheaper.

These are a few of things I have learned. It's frustrating and fun, these are very technical machines, Chinese duplexers are junk, R.F.I. was a challenge, brasing rod J pole antennas work better the expected,  and I must like mental torture. LOL

Here is a picture of what I have built. 3.5 watt reapter version 3.3 with Pl tone squelch, optional DTMF on/off control, diy J pole antenna, 18 ah lithium battery, 2.5 amp solar panel. From ten feet above my shop the range is a round 7 miles. We sit in a hole. From a small rise 70 feet higher and a 1/2 mile south the range increases to 20 ish miles.

I hope everyone has fun with this hobby. WRJA397

20220807_124926.jpg

9 hours ago, K7lon said:

This thread is interesting to me.  I have been a sucker for the Q.R.P. craft ( low power 5 watts or less) for years. The most amazing prodject I was involved in was a 440 3.5 watts output repeater. Place on top of a very high hill. It reached 60 miles into the valley east with full quiting and could be tickled 60 miles west (rolling hills). The antenna was a diy vertical dipole design.

I got another GMRS license to build a Qrp repeater for family activities. It has been a 6 year off & on journey at a estimated cost of $1500.00 plus. Buying the Retevis rt97 could be lot easier and cheaper.

These are a few of things I have learned. It's frustrating and fun, these are very technical machines, Chinese duplexers are junk, R.F.I. was a challenge, brasing rod J pole antennas work better the expected,  and I must like mental torture. LOL

Here is a picture of what I have built. 3.5 watt reapter version 3.3 with Pl tone squelch, optional DTMF on/off control, diy J pole antenna, 18 ah lithium battery, 2.5 amp solar panel. From ten feet above my shop the range is a round 7 miles. We sit in a hole. From a small rise 70 feet higher and a 1/2 mile south the range increases to 20 ish miles.

I hope everyone has fun with this hobby. WRJA397

20220807_124926.jpg

Thank you for your input. Your set up looks like something I might do. 

Thank you and your welcome.
In hindsight the rt97 would have been cheaper, with less frustration.

I start out the build ($200) to test antenna designs. Starting on 3.5 watts and dropping to .7 watts for performance testing. To see if I  could due better than that vertical dipole. Which still needs to be explored. Who knew I would be getting in this deep. It's a illness without a doubt.

The next step is a ISC controller with Id broadcast and to many controls to think about.

WRJA397

Thank you and your welcome.
In hindsight the rt97 would have been cheaper, with less frustration.

I start out the build ($200) to test antenna designs. Starting on 3.5 watts and dropping to .7 watts for performance testing. To see if I  could due better than that vertical dipole. Which still needs to be explored. Who knew I would be getting in this deep. It's a illness without a doubt.

The next step is a ISC controller with Id broadcast and to many controls to think about.

WRJA397

I'm having software frustrations with the rt97. But otherwise it's doing the job. I can see that I'll need to mod it for use with an amp.

2 hours ago, TNRonin said:

I'm having software frustrations with the rt97. But otherwise it's doing the job. I can see that I'll need to mod it for use with an amp.

Odd... Mine arrived today, and I didn't seem to have any problems programming the 16 channel slots. Basically 8 slots (one for each repeater pair) using semi-random CTCSS tones (I just paged down the pull-down about 2 pages and picked the top tone, next channel went down 2 pages from last tone). Then set up the next 8 with the same frequency pairs but using DCS tones (half N, half I, also picked by somewhat random paging in the list). I felt having widely varying tones scattered over the channels would mean I could find a vacant frequency and have tones unlikely to used by any strangers in the vicinity -- planned for the very rare family gatherings where I could distribute some of my HTs to family members in the "immediate" classification, and they would ID with my callsign. Granted, the odds of any of them getting out of simplex range but be on opposite sides of the repeater range would be interesting. Expect to use simplex if we're in a convoy.

Still need to figure out an antenna for it. It deserves something more than the 8" or so mag-mount whip that came with my MXT-115. At least some sort of 10-20ft mast and tripod for said mast, with at least a vertical dipole (so sectional fiberglass or plastic plumbing sections with couplers drilled for bolts) for the mast. Doubt anyone makes GMRS antennas using 3/8x24 threads -- I have a few MFJ "dipole" adapters for using "hamsticks" (normally quarterwave single band mobile whips, two coupled end to end in adapter to form dipole). Diamond has 6.5dBi (so about 3dBd -- ERP doubling of RT97 output power) for $130, about 6ft tall. Comet has a 9dBi (~6dBd, or a 4x ERP gain) for $140+freight, about 10ft tall. Too long to pack in a vehicle (and my rust bucket doesn't have a roof rack).

My complaint is that the RA85s included in the package have old firmware which does NOT support user upgrading, and which seems to be incompatible with RA85 programming software (though that may be because I'm using BTech and Wouxun programming cables -- the software shows a write-radio progress bar and says it was successful). I couldn't find a programming cable on Retevis web site, nor spare batteries. The software has a column for channel name, the radio has menu entry for setting the display to frequency or name, but the firmware doesn't seem to take names. Also the RA85 old firmware has all channels locked at NFM. The newer, user-upgradable, firmware is supposed to allow wide FM as the default (except for the 467 0.5W interstitials which NFM), but allow user switching of channels to NFM, along with properly handling names. The software also does not seem to be saving my edits on local file. Keeps dropping the name contents and reverting 31-60 to their factory defaults.

Filled out a "contact" message on the Retevis site -- since I don't do Facebook, hoping this runs as email (to an account I don't normally monitor -- gmail). Suspect I'll have to get a box, bubble packing, and ship the RA85s back to Retevis (CHINA!) via some service (DHL did the US portion) to get firmware updated.

Edited by KAF6045
Added paragraph for antenna

Odd... Mine arrived today, and I didn't seem to have any problems programming the 16 channel slots. Basically 8 slots (one for each repeater pair) using semi-random CTCSS tones (I just paged down the pull-down about 2 pages and picked the top tone, next channel went down 2 pages from last tone). Then set up the next 8 with the same frequency pairs but using DCS tones (half N, half I, also picked by somewhat random paging in the list). I felt having widely varying tones scattered over the channels would mean I could find a vacant frequency and have tones unlikely to used by any strangers in the vicinity -- planned for the very rare family gatherings where I could distribute some of my HTs to family members in the "immediate" classification, and they would ID with my callsign. Granted, the odds of any of them getting out of simplex range but be on opposite sides of the repeater range would be interesting. Expect to use simplex if we're in a convoy.
Still need to figure out an antenna for it. It deserves something more than the 8" or so mag-mount whip that came with my MXT-115. At least some sort of 10-20ft mast and tripod for said mast, with at least a vertical dipole (so sectional fiberglass or plastic plumbing sections with couplers drilled for bolts) for the mast. Doubt anyone makes GMRS antennas using 3/8x24 threads -- I have a few MFJ "dipole" adapters for using "hamsticks" (normally quarterwave single band mobile whips, two coupled end to end in adapter to form dipole). Diamond has 6.5dBi (so about 3dBd -- ERP doubling of RT97 output power) for $130, about 6ft tall. Comet has a 9dBi (~6dBd, or a 4x ERP gain) for $140+freight, about 10ft tall. Too long to pack in a vehicle (and my rust bucket doesn't have a roof rack).
My complaint is that the RA85s included in the package have old firmware which does NOT support user upgrading, and which seems to be incompatible with RA85 programming software (though that may be because I'm using BTech and Wouxun programming cables -- the software shows a write-radio progress bar and says it was successful). I couldn't find a programming cable on Retevis web site, nor spare batteries. The software has a column for channel name, the radio has menu entry for setting the display to frequency or name, but the firmware doesn't seem to take names. Also the RA85 old firmware has all channels locked at NFM. The newer, user-upgradable, firmware is supposed to allow wide FM as the default (except for the 467 0.5W interstitials which NFM), but allow user switching of channels to NFM, along with properly handling names. The software also does not seem to be saving my edits on local file. Keeps dropping the name contents and reverting 31-60 to their factory defaults.
Filled out a "contact" message on the Retevis site -- since I don't do Facebook, hoping this runs as email (to an account I don't normally monitor -- gmail). Suspect I'll have to get a box, bubble packing, and ship the RA85s back to Retevis (CHINA!) via some service (DHL did the US portion) to get firmware updated.
I got it sorted. I had the freqs backwards. Duh!!

Then the software would not download. Got that sorted, and adjusted the bands. Should be better now. Waiting on parts for the antenna build.