Follow-up to question on base station receive problem

tjcasper93

Question

I previously posted a question regarding my base station and how it could transmit well but not receive well.  Since that post I've discovered something.  When I unscrew the antenna about half way I get excellent reception, pulling in several weather stations, some over 100 miles away.  When I do that the SWR goes through the roof at around 5.50.  But when I screw down and tighten the antenna again I lose my weather stations but the SWR drops to 1.17.

Any thoughts on how I can keep my SWR low and have great reception at the same time?

2 answers to this question

6 hours ago, tjcasper93 said:

I previously posted a question regarding my base station and how it could transmit well but not receive well.  Since that post I've discovered something.  When I unscrew the antenna about half way I get excellent reception, pulling in several weather stations, some over 100 miles away.  When I do that the SWR goes through the roof at around 5.50.  But when I screw down and tighten the antenna again I lose my weather stations but the SWR drops to 1.17.

Any thoughts on how I can keep my SWR low and have great reception at the same time?

Well, one thing to account for: Weather broadcasts are in the 150MHz band -- VHF. Your antenna is specifically tuned for 450MHz band (and maybe even a touch higher since GMRS is 462MHz for receive, 467MHz to reach repeaters). A 1/4wave antenna for Wx would be around 19 inches long, and a half-wave around a yard long. A 1/4wave on GMRS is around 6 inches.

Unscrewing the antenna could (hypothetically): 1) lengthen it enough to hit a somewhat resonant 150MHz (though I've never heard of a 1/8wave antenna ? , normally one gets a lower band antenna which is a multiple of wavelengths on a higher band); 2) depending upon how the whip mounts, you might be breaking ground-side contact.

As for receiving Weather DX -- If I walk out my kitchen door to the middle of my driveway, I can receive maybe two relatively local Wx stations... If I walk 6 feet in any direction, I receive NONE... 12 feet in any direction and I receive them again... And the pattern repeats. Lay a 12x12 ft grid over my property and I can pick up Wx stations at the grid intersections.