Ohio Repeater List

quarterwave

There are quite a few repeaters in the Ohio list these days, that is good to see. I have one on there myself. 

However, another member told me he emailed the owner(?) of the larger group of repeaters, which are marked Private, Paid, Members Only and such...and was told not all of them existed. The member thought maybe the owner felt he could "reserve" channels by posting them. 

Secondly, Do we want repeaters listed if they are only for the owners or private "members" to use? I have an open repeater...but I also have a "private" one, that I do not list. 

I'm not saying it "should" be one way or another, but just asking what others think. Maybe that owner can chime in and tell us what's up as well. 

I guess I just lean towards..if you are going to make a repeater known to the public, then it should be open or request-permission type of thing...but paid, membership, private? Just seems to make me think of someone trying to look good on paper. "I've got an ice cream cone...and you can't have one"

Could just be the mood I'm in today, though.... ha ha ha. 

quarterwave, the question of whether closed (Private, Paid, Members Only, etc.) GMRS repeaters should appear in the MyGMRS.com repeater list is a different question from whether such repeaters should exist in the world.

Personally, I feel that closed repeaters should be listed in the repeater directory if only for the purpose of alerting others (who may be in the process of thinking about setting up a new repeater, for example) that the given frequency is in use and that some coordination will be required in order to avoid potential interference.

As to the issue of whether closed GMRS repeaters should even exist, I can only point to the amateur radio community where a certain number of repeater systems are closed. These are often repeaters that were installed by and are being maintained by a local ham radio club where members are expected to pay annual dues and where one of the benefits of club membership is use of the club's repeater system. This is legal for hams to do, as it is for GMRS repeater owners.

I would prefer that no repeaters were closed, but I'm not in charge of the world. :)

Regards,

Frank.

No, I am not questioning whether closed repeaters should exist, I have one, and I know what it costs and what I want it used for, and more importantly what (who) I don't want on it, so I have no issue with closed repeaters. 

My comments were only to whether it makes sense to list repeaters no one but the owner and his friends use. Yes, it can help with channel finding, but that can be done other ways more reliably, as it's the unlisted ones that will pop up just when you think you know what's around given a "listing". 

In commercial radio, when choosing from new frequencies sent over by a coordinator for public service or commercial use, we would always set up a receiver at the proposed tower site, a recorder and a clock-timer triggered by carrier, and leave it on the air for about a week per frequency to capture the audio and amount of air time on the frequency, if any. When we narrowed it down to the one we wanted, we ran it for another week, just to be sure. Did that with PL decoding for distant stations sharing same freq as well. 

But, back to the issue...I just had wondered about how legit what I saw was.