Call sign

Wrvq441

Greetings everyone.

As a fairly new person to the GMRS world, I am concerned and very conscientious about doing things proper.

Now, please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this, and also guide me along.

My understanding is that I only need one license for my family. If this is true, if I’m talking to my wife through a repeater, do we both give our call sign after transmission, or does just one of us need to?  Either way seems like it would seem confusing to a third party listening in, and if I can resolve this ahead of time instead of having someone consuming my time correcting me when I’m possibly in a hurry. 

Thank you ahead of time for any of your input.

1 minute ago, Wrvq441 said:

Greetings everyone.

As a fairly new person to the GMRS world, I am concerned and very conscientious about doing things proper.

My understanding is that I only need one license for my family. If this is true, if I’m talking to my wife through a repeater, do we both give our call sign after transmission, or does just one of us need to?  Either way seems like it would seem confusing to a third party listening in, and if I can resolve this ahead of time instead of having someone consuming my time correcting me when I’m possibly in a hurry. 

Hi Paul,

Yes, each of you closes out by identifying yourself.  You can add a unit designation, such as “WRQV411 unit 1”, but there’s no requirement to do so.  You could have your entire family closing out one after the other with the same call sign.

6 hours ago, Wrvq441 said:

Greetings everyone.

As people have said, yoy both share your callsign and can use numbers. From my understanding she also has to say the families callsign before her first transmission, as she is a second entity yielding the callsign. But I could be wrong. I'd air on the safe side and just repeat it on the first transmission every 15 min, as well as go by unit 1/2.