New To GMRS - Question

Guest Richard

Hi guys, This is just what I was looking for.  I am thinking of getting a GMRS license but am not sure yet. Just weighing pros and cons now I guess. I want to be able to talk to my Wife and Kids without having to call them on the phone or have them get an Ham Radio license too. Looking where to go for Cost etc...Thanks for any help you can give.

The new license fee is only 65 bucks for 5yrs for your entire family. The old price was 85. You may use almost any UHF radio, but it is recommended that you use only Part95 equipment on this GMRS part95 service. Radios can cost as little a 14.95 each for baofeng BF888, not part 95, Much more for Part95 certified radios. Without a repeater don't expect more than a mile or 2 miles coverage with hand held radios. The advertised range of 20 plus miles is not achievable, except over open terrain or open water. Access to a centrally located repeater on a hill or on a tower can allow effective communications in excess of 50 miles. You can build a repeater for a few hundred dollars or you can buy a new part95 certified repeater for quite a bit more. There are a lot of options and issues, Topography plays a major roll in the distance you achieve. antenna height is generally much more important than power output in watt's. I could go on and on, but I will allow others to elaborate or correct any of my inaccuracies.   Best of luck with your radio endeavor.