Baofeng UV9G - Unable to turn off Flashlight

WRJZ295

I purchased a Baofeng UV9G about six weeks ago.  I subsequently used Chirp to store the radio's configuration as it came out of the box and then uploaded a new configuration to support a local Marathon event.  Shortly after I loaded the new configuration, I tested the use of the flashlight.  It works and provides sufficient light, but I can not turn it off.  

When I inspect the configuration I loaded, there is no field defined for the SP button I used to turn on the flashlight.  I subsequently removed the configuration that supported the Marathon and loaded the original configuration back onto the radio, but I was not successful in turning off the light.

I assume that my next step is to perform a factory reset, but I haven't seen how to do this in the manual (quite possibly a personal error here), but I also wanted to document this issue with the hope that this could be resolved using either Baofeng or Chirp.

I welcome any constructive comments.

Thank you, 

Richard

26 minutes ago, WRJZ295 said:

I purchased a Baofeng UV9G about six weeks ago.  I subsequently used Chirp to store the radio's configuration as it came out of the box and then uploaded a new configuration to support a local Marathon event.  Shortly after I loaded the new configuration, I tested the use of the flashlight.  It works and provides sufficient light, but I can not turn it off.  

When I inspect the configuration I loaded, there is no field defined for the SP button I used to turn on the flashlight.  I subsequently removed the configuration that supported the Marathon and loaded the original configuration back onto the radio, but I was not successful in turning off the light.

I assume that my next step is to perform a factory reset, but I haven't seen how to do this in the manual (quite possibly a personal error here), but I also wanted to document this issue with the hope that this could be resolved using either Baofeng or Chirp.

15 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So, did you reprogram the MON button so it doesn't toggle through the three modes of the flashlight? (On, strobe, off).

I don’t see any option to change the MON button in chirp for this radio. Have you tried just pulling the battery and putting it back in? Also it isn’t the SP button but rather the Sk2 button. The lower of the two smaller buttons. Hope this works for you. 

3 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I don’t see any option to change the MON button in chirp for this radio. Have you tried just pulling the battery and putting it back in? Also it isn’t the SP button but rather the Sk2 button. The lower of the two smaller buttons. Hope this works for you. 

If it's not possible to reprogram the MON button, then he should be able to simply turn off the flashlight by using the MON button.

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

If it's not possible to reprogram the MON button, then he should be able to simply turn off the flashlight by using the MON button

You are correct. He mentioned the SP button? Maybe just hitting wrong button? It’s a quick push instead of holding for MON. I tried leaving mine on and unplugged the battery and when I plug it back in it stayed off. ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

You are correct. He mentioned the SP button? Maybe just hitting wrong button? It’s a quick push instead of holding for MON. I tried leaving mine on and unplugged the battery and when I plug it back in it stayed off. ?‍♂️

He did mention the SP button. It seems he programmed it to turn on the flashlight in addition to the MON button. But then he couldn’t program a button to turn off the flashlight (which would presumably be in addition to the MON button.)

I also presume that additional presses on the SP button don’t toggle the flashlight through its three states, but maybe I am wrong about that. 

Steve

In Chirp, I did not reprogram the Mon button, but simply (1) downloaded from the radio the channel definitions that came from the manufacturer; (2) Made a copy of the Step 1 and saved it with a different file name; (3) Opened the file that contained the Channel definitions to support the Marathon; (4) Selected all the channel definitions, copied then, moved to my "copy" that I created in Step 2 above and performed a paste operation.

As for SP vice SK, sorry, I'm an old "mainframer" and I transposed "function keys".  The keys I used are the two keys located directed below the PTT button.  These keys are identified with a single and then double "dash" markings.  The flashlight was activated using the "single dash" button.

As suggested above, I tried the single press, double press and triple press of the "single dash" button, all unsuccessful in reseting the flashlight option.

I've taken the battery out for a five-minute pause, reinserted it, but again, the flashlight remains on.

Does anyone know the secret handshake to reset the radio back to the factory settings?  I've seen information on UV5R, etc., but not for this specific model.

I found in another thread here to use Menu option 40.  I did, I selected "All" and on my second reset I chosed "VFO".  Both reset the radio to the default channel configuration but the flashlight remains on.

Is there an equivalent to the three-finger reset for this radio?

It's not a double or triple key press.  Just press the bottom button, on the side below the PTT, which is the SK2 button. You press it once and the flashlight turns on.  You press it again and the flashlight starts strobing.  You push it again and the flashlight turns off. Push it again and the flashlight turns on again, starting the whole cycle over again.

Here's the description in the manual - page 21:

6.7 This function is very useful for night illumination. To turn it on press MON; push it again, the flash light will be strobe; push it again: it will turn off.

I don't know if there is a way to restore to factory defaults. 

59 minutes ago, WRJZ295 said:

Just for reference, I also performed the single, double, triple key press on the "double dashed" button, again, no success.

33 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It's not a double or triple key press.  Just press the bottom button, on the side below the PTT, which is the SK2 button

It definitely is the bottom button, the one with two dashes as you say.  Also as @Sshannon mentions just one press.  I think there may be an issue with the radio. When I pull the battery from mine the light defaults to off when it's plugged back in.  Very odd indeed. Where did the configuration come from for the event?

The Chirp configuration file to support the event came from the local Radio Club that has traditionally supported this marathon for many years.  There is one person at this RC that has a 9G and he does not have this issue.  I may just have to realize that I have a bum radio.  Maybe with this log, someone with the correct authority (Baofeng or Chirp) could make an adjustment to reset the flashlight when a factory reset is performed.  Right now, I believe I just need to live with the situation.