Inputting repeater correctly

WRWJ727

I’ve noticed some repeaters show just one frequency of the CTCSS. Some show two for transmitting and receiving. If there is only one code, what would the other be? I’m new to this so here it goes… wouldn’t we need both a transmit and receive squelch code to interact with the repeater and people hearing me? Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, WRWJ727 said:

I’ve noticed some repeaters show just one frequency of the CTCSS. Some show two for transmitting and receiving. If there is only one code, what would the other be? I’m new to this so here it goes… wouldn’t we need both a transmit and receive squelch code to interact with the repeater and people hearing me? Thanks

You never actually need the receive tone. Setting a receive tone only limits what you hear so with no tone set you hear everything on that channel. Setting a RX tone on repeaters that have both insures you will only hear an output of the repeater but you may be missing simplex on the same channel. 

Virtually all repeaters will have an input tone - that is the tone that you transmit to the repeater.

The output tone which is the tone for receiving is optional. Some repeaters dont use one, even if they do, putting it on your radio is optional to help block-out other noise/traffic on the same channel.

TL;DR - If it has just one tone/code, put it on the TX of your radio

3 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

You never actually need the receive tone. Setting a receive tone only limits what you hear so with no tone set you hear everything on that channel. Setting a RX tone on repeaters that have both insures you will only hear an output of the repeater but you may be missing simplex on the same channel. 

Thank you! That makes total sense.

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Virtually all repeaters will have an input tone - that is the tone that you transmit to the repeater.

The output tone which is the tone for receiving is optional. Some repeaters dont use one, even if they do, putting it on your radio is optional to help block-out other noise/traffic on the same channel.

TL;DR - If it has just one tone/code, put it on the TX of your radio

Thank you! Btw, I follow your YouTube channel! Great information. Thanks for the reply!