Guest Post from 'Jon'

Guest Jon

for a cheap, low power repeater, i am looking at 2 Tera TR-505 radios with a repeater box setup (sainsonic on amazon, using motrola plugs) the radios are $99 each, the box is $25. antenna upgrades are around $12 each for a nagoya 771 if you wanted them, roof or car mount would probably be more. i have one Tera just need to pony up and get the another one to have a functioning repeater

You need roughly 10 feet of vertical (or 30 feet of horizontal) separation to keep those things from desensing one another.

can you elaborate? I have seen several mobile repeater setups with 2 radios in hard plastic cases or metal ones with antennas mounted directly to the boxes, they seemed to be operating without issue from what I could see. would be using different input output frequencies. rould using a delayed repeater box resolve this issue vs using 2 radios? I was looking as doing something similar using 650

Low power is fine, but at 40 or 50 watts I would use a duplexer and use a single antenna. If not, be sure to set the antennas on different planes and separate them as much distance apart as possible. 20+ feet in combination could save your radios.

can you elaborate? I have seen several mobile repeater setups with 2 radios in hard plastic cases or metal ones with antennas mounted directly to the boxes, they seemed to be operating without issue from what I could see. would be using different input output frequencies. rould using a delayed repeater box resolve this issue vs using 2 radios? I was looking as doing something similar using 650

The lower cost Chinese radios have notoriously wide band pass filters on the receiver. As a result, the suffer in the adjacent channel isolation. 40 dB versus the standard 65 dB.

Even split there will be issues without running separation or a duplexer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk